[Trainer-Talk] Seeking Helpful Resources

Scott Davert scott.davert at hknc.org
Wed Dec 30 13:30:43 UTC 2015

Hello Anita.
I was on vacation, so am a bit late to the party. The reason you don't find more than general info in a lot of places is because OSX is pretty universal no matter the Mac you are using. Of course, hardware always has its differences, but many of the concepts are the same whether you're using a Macbook Air, Pro, Mini, or iMac. Anyway, I just wanted to reply with a couple of other resources. There is a free iBook called mastering the mac, and it is written to address the needs of those with low or no vision. I think it came out in mid 2014, so it's fairly recent and should get you started.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/mastering-macintosh-voiceover/id899197795?mt=11
If you are coming over from the iOS side, as already discussed, many of the trackpad gestures are the same on the trackpad as those you have been using on iOS. I did a podcast covering some of the similarities a couple of years back, which still holds true today.
http://www.applevis.com/podcast/episodes/using-gestures-trackpad-mac-making-navigation-mac-similar-ios
If you like learning through audio means, David Woodbridge did a series of podcasts which you can also find on AppleVis which are just as applicable now as when they were produced.

Best of luck!
Scott

Scott Davert, MA, VRT
Program Coordinator, New York Deaf-Blind Equipment Distribution Program
Helen Keller National Center for Deaf-Blind Youths and Adults (HKNC)
141 Middle Neck Rd.
Sands Point, NY 11050
scott.davert at hknc.org
516-393-7561 (Voice)
http://www.icanconnect.org/new-york :: HKNC: http://www.hknc.org

DATA PRIVACY AND SECURITY NOTICE: This e-mail message and any attached files are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the addressee(s) named above. The materials in this email also may contain protected health information or other information subject to protections under federal and state law, as well as physician-patient, attorney-client work product, or other privileges. If you are not an intended recipient or the authorized agent of an intended recipient, be advised that any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, printing, copying or the taking of any action with respect to the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete it from your system. Thank you.