[Trainer-Talk] Tty

Scott Davert scott.davert at hknc.org
Tue Sep 15 12:32:59 UTC 2015

Hi Matt.
Typically, at the moment, most deaf-blind people using modern technology are using a form of ip-relay and not TTY itself. As it stands, the only truly accessible TTY on the market for braille users would be the old deaf-blind communicator set up. The old Telebraille devices were ideal, but they quit making those 20 years ago.  Unfortunately, while there is one project sort of in beta at this time, the only ip-relay option out there is Srint IP. The app leaves a lot to be desired for braille users. The web version of the service is somewhat less clunky, but unless she's a fast braille reader, that may also not be an option. If she is someone who can still use her voice, you may wish to contact Ultratech who are the makers of the Captel system. While still in beta, they are testing a captioned phone system that is useable with  braille displays. I've only tried it on the Braille Sense plus, with not much success, but have used it with the Braille Edge, so I'm not sure as to the status of the u2. I can check on that if you'd like.
Access to the phone system has become a major issue for those who are deaf-blind, myself included. gGtting Sprint to make their app accessibile to braille users has yielded no results. They have improved their web version of ip-relay, but have done absolutely no work on their app since several people brought this concern to them over a year ago. Until recently, this was not such a concern, as we had 3 different ip-relay options to choose from before that point.

Hope this helps,
Scott

Sent from my iPhone