[Trainer-Talk] education question

Scott Davert scott.davert at hknc.org
Wed Sep 16 15:10:00 UTC 2015

Hi George.
If you want to be a trainer, while a TVI or VRT may not be necessary, it certainly helps to have some sort of background in teaching. I do have a VRT degree, but that's certainly not the only path one can take. I suppose it depends on how far along you'd like to go career wise. Many higher level positions require a Master's degree. However, if you want to be an independent contractor, which has its own pluses and minuses, a Master's is not required. My undergrad background is in the social sciences, and I didn't know what I wanted to do until after I graduated.
As a general rule, it can't hurt to get your certification in JAWS and some other screen readers. It will also help you stay up-to-date on developments with both Windows and that dedicated screen reader. It's not free, but getting ahead in life requires sometimes making sacrifices. At this time, as far as I know, there is no accessibility certification for Apple products. The best thing you can do is keep up with what's happening in the industry and go volunteer some time at a local blindness organization to get your name out there. While you may not initially make any money, if you get some experience under your belt, and other people have positive experiences with you, this will help you market yourself. In our digital age, I still think word of mouth is the most powerful testament a person can give. This will also help with networking.
I'm no authority on the subject, and I think others have also offered valuable advice on this topic. I hope you find it of use and wish you luck!

Regards,
Scott

Scott Davert, MA, VRT
Coordinator, New York Deaf-Blind Equipment Distribution Program
Helen Keller National Center for Deaf-Blind Youths and Adults (HKNC)
141 Middle Neck Rd.
Sands Point, NY 11050
scott.davert at hknc.org
516-393-7561 (Voice)
http://www.icanconnect.org/new-york :: HKNC: http://www.hknc.org

DATA PRIVACY AND SECURITY NOTICE: This e-mail message and any attached files are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the addressee(s) named above. The materials in this email also may contain protected health information or other information subject to protections under federal and state law, as well as physician-patient, attorney-client work product, or other privileges. If you are not an intended recipient or the authorized agent of an intended recipient, be advised that any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, printing, copying or the taking of any action with respect to the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete it from your system. Thank you.