[Trainer-Talk] Teaching curriculum questions/intro

Greg Aikens gaikens at cviga.org
Fri Jul 22 18:22:07 UTC 2016

Hello all,
I'm brand new to the list and brand new to my job as an assistive tech instructor at the Center for the Visually Impaired in Atlanta. My background is working as a TVI teaching blindness skills to K-12 students who are blind and visually impaired. I have taught a lot of tech to children but the center-based setting with adults looks a lot different and I have a few questions.

We have a computer curriculum developed here at the Center that is in desperate need of updating/replacing. As I am gathering info on existing resources, I wanted to ask what other trainers are using to teach Jaws/Magic and MS Office. Are you writing your own stuff? Using the training bundle from FS? Pulling from a variety of sources? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Also, to guide the curriculum process, I'm looking for a list of job related tech competencies that clients will need, preferably from an established source. I'm not necessarily looking for something specific to blindness but a list of tech skills that all job seekers ought to have. The list of objectives from our current curriculum misses a lot of the relevant skills today related to internet use, cloud-based collaboration, mobile computing, etc. Does anyone know of such a list or where I might look for one?

Finally, is anyone teaching tech in group classes? Our model has been for each student to work at his or her own pace and work individually. I would like to work in some of the benefits of collaborating and group interaction into the classroom and would be interested in hearing if others have had success with group classes.

Thanks for any and all advice. I look forward to learning and collaborating on this list.

Best,

Greg Aikens
Senior Assistive Technology Instructor
Center for the Visually Impaired<http://www.cviga.org/>