[Trainer-Talk] help with a Braille sense plus

Raul A. Gallegos raul at raulgallegos.com
Sun Apr 30 23:25:58 UTC 2017

Hi Graham, I hope the following can help.

First, wireless Internet access. Make sure that the wi-fi is enabled. If
you press Space with 1456 from the main menu, it will toggle it on or
off.. Once it's on, press S for settings and I for Internet setup. In
case the default is set for LAN, arrow down to Wireless LAN and press
Enter. Now here is where it will become hit and miss. Depending on your
router, Braille Sense may not play nice with it. So, it may or may not
work. using scroll keys or Space with 1 or Space with 4, choose your
wireless network and press enter. You will be prompted for the wireless
password, assuming you have one. Type that in and press Enter. If all
goes well, Braille Sense will connect and you are good to go each time
your wireless is enabled and you are in range.

Now, as to your iPhone. First, turn on Bluetooth with Space 3456 from
the main menu. Now, Press U for utilities, S for terminal for screen
reader, then B for Bluetooth. It's kind of an irony that the shortcut to
get there from the main menu is USB even though it's Bluetooth. That's
more of a tech person's joke. Anyway, now that your terminal is running,
go to your iPhone's Voice Over section, Settings > General >
Accessibility > Voice Over. Find Braille and go in there. At the bottom
will be listed which display is seen. I'm assuming Braille Sense will be
shown. Double tap that and if asked for a pin, type 0000 followed by
activating the Pair button. Your Braille Sense may ask you for that same
pin, type that in and press enter. I believe when doing this, you will
need to use computer Braille. If the stars are aligned right, the
planets in the correct orbital position, and your dog has been fed, you
will be successful. If not, you will have to try over again. I have
sometimes found it necessary to back out of the Braille Section, turn
off Bluetooth from the iPhone, turn off Bluetooth from Sense and start
from main menu and literally start from the beginning. However that has
been the worse-case for me after it failed to connect correctly the
first couple of times.

Good luck and write back if you have questions.

--
Raul A. Gallegos
Assistive Technology Trainer - RGA Tech Solutions
Personal Email: raul at raulgallegos.com
Work Email: training at rgats.com
Twitter: @rga7285 and @RGATrainer

“Any teacher that can be replaced with a computer, deserves to be.” -
David Thornburg