[Trainer-Talk] Orbit Reader $400 20 Cell Break Down

Tech Center newvisiontechcenter at gmail.com
Sat Aug 5 19:42:22 UTC 2017

Howdy Olusegu,

Are you sure about it running Android Jelly Bean? I mean maybe that was
in the audio I shared, but I can't find any evidence of it in any
documentation or google search. And on APH's site they seem to go out of
there way to say its not a "PDA" slash typical "Braille tablet".. I mean
maybe your right but its functionality to run independently is really
really limited. There docs say pretty much you can or don't want to
compose a document any longer than 15 pages... And while it can read
files from a SD Card that's about it... an it looks like most TXT and
BRF files, nothing fancy. It doesn't support Wifi, and looks like you
can only connect it to a PC for terminal usage via USB or Blueooth.
Looks like if you don't have a SD card in it there isn't even any
internal storage... So I guess it could be running Jelly bean, but seams
like over kill for what it does. Oh, it has a calendar function... an to
be honest I think that's a fancy way to say it can tell you the time and
day.  No apps can run, etc...

I think you might be thinking of the B2G or Braille 2 go, which I did
hear recently about and yes it is running Jelly Bean...
Any who my two cents, if its I don't care... but I think its more likely
to be running some low level linux stuff....
-David

On 8/4/2017 10:42 AM, Olusegun -- Victory Associates LTD, Inc. via
Trainer-Talk wrote:
> Price on the Orbit may look good; but it runs off of a DEPRECATED Android
> OS, JellyBean!  Why is it that adaptive technology equipment manufacturers
> keep shortchanging the blind?  When done in the mainstream, the blind cry
> "FOUL!"  When done by an adaptive technology equipment
> manufacturer/developer, however, all the blind are happy campers!  Double
> standard?  No, good, great best business practice!
>
> Sincerely,
> Olusegun
> Denver, Colorado
>

> ---

*David Ward*
Assistive Technology Instructor at New Vision
(Formerly Voice of the Blue Ridge)
Phone: 540-985-8900
Fax: 540-985-8992
Website: www.newvisionroa.org <http://www.newvisionroa.org>