[Trainer-Talk] B2G Thoughts

Nancy Coffman nancy.l.coffman at gmail.com
Sun Aug 6 15:36:19 UTC 2017

Thank you for your thoughts.  I am also concerned that some of what note
takers used to do has been lost, largely to make them more adaptable to
mainstream alternatives.  I don't buy a Braille device and ever think it is
going to be mainstream.

On the "Braille 'n' Speak line of devices, we got quite used to being able
to have 2 documents open at once and switch between them with the press of a
keystroke.  We got used to automatic save.  The BrailleNote Apex maintained
many of these features.  The spelling checker was also only a keystroke
away.  It may be that newer devices have these features and I have not found
how to use them yet.

I think you are right on about the documentation.  I think the trouble is
that these devices have gotten so complicated and do so much that it is
difficult or impossible to document all of it. Having said that, I think it
is just as true with pairing a mobile device with a Braille display, or even
using its native screen reader.  Sometimes you find an app with gestures
that compete with those of the screen reader but there is an undocumented
work around.  As a trainer, this becomes a challenge because I don't have
time to dig documentation out of the woodwork and play with every app and
device that comes out.  I have enough trouble trying to keep up with the
technology that is already sitting on my devices, update in hand.  I think
helping people consider what they want to use their device for and how they
want it to work is very helpful.  If you end up with a laptop for this, and
an iPad for that, you have to learn 2 devices, their operating systems,
screen readers and applications.  Will the user enjoy the challenge?  Are
there resources for learning all of it? Is there a backup plan if the
learning techniques they planned to use don't work well?

It makes me feel overly focused and narrow minded but as a trainer, I often
find myself admitting to my clients that I don't know everything and some
devices will require more independent study on their part than others.
Although I find myself being occasionally embarrassed by this fact, I would
rather be good at something than have tidbits of knowledge about everything
and know that I am not actually qualified to teach any of it well.  I have
even asked some of my advanced students if they will teach me about the
device we have purchased for them after they get it.  Some love the
opportunity.