[Trainer-Talk] desktop vs. laptop

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 15 04:25:44 UTC 2017

Hello,

People have different needs. I'm only a volunteer trainer so primarily speak
as a user of jaws.
I strongly believe you should keep some desktops as well as laptops. I think
the advantages to the desktop are the larger keyboard layout. There are
actually spaces on a regular keyboard that users use as landmarks. A compact
keyboard on a laptop is so disorienting to me that I need landmarks on it
made with bump dots or something. I also think many desktops are faster and
have better connectivity to the internet. You can hardwire your desktops to
the internet and laptops have wireless. I cannot tell you how many times I
have slow or no connectivity via my laptop at college campuses and resort to
using the one pc with jaws at the library. If you use desktops, I think
you'd have less connectivity issues.
There are other advantages to using desktops, but these are the main ones
that come to mind.

I know you can hook regular keyboards to laptops, so  if you go the laptop
only route, I suggest you have some full size keyboards with the numeric
keypad.

Those are my thoughts.

Ashley