[Trainer-Talk] desktop vs. laptop

Helen Stevens hstevensnfb at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 01:41:09 UTC 2017

Hi Greg et al,

In the computer labs I’ve set up we've stuck with primarily desktops because they are cheaper and more stable as others mentioned. That being said, we always teach laptop keystrokes for screen readers and do not teach navigating with the numpad. We do this so that someone will know keystrokes for any computer whether a desktop or laptop, and also because the laptop keystrokes are often more efficient since one doesn’t have to move hands on and off the home row as much. With JAWS it helps that choosing laptop mode does not change any desktop keystrokes. Unfortunately with NVDA some desktop and laptop keystrokes are totally different. Still, we’ve found it better to teach the laptop commands since you can use them on a desktop, but not vice versa. I’ve watched people who received training with only the desktop commands struggle with always needing to connect a desktop keyboard to their laptop because they don’t know how to use a laptop keyboard, and that is not a practical setup for sitting in meetings or college lectures, working in a car or other vehicle while traveling, or even just carrying around from place to place. I do find the more distinct keys of a desktop keyboard easier for a new computer user to learn, and it can take some time for newer users to adjust to the less distinct keys on laptops. We don’t have monitors hooked up to any of our computers in our training center since that training is entirely nonvisual, and one downside I have found with laptops is that it is easier for students to try and cheat by looking at the screen. Similarly, we have scrambled the keys on our desktop keyboards to limit cheating, and this is harder to do with a laptop.

Hope that helps,
Helen