[Trainer-Talk] Jaws commands with various Braille displays

Brian Lee brianllee at charter.net
Tue Feb 28 15:16:40 UTC 2017

Hello Sarah,

I am pasting a list of JAWS commands for the BrailleEdge 40 below my
signature block in this message.  The list is taken from the BrailleEdge 40
V1.1 manual.  I am also giving a link to the manual below.  You can list
links in the manual using JAWS key F7.  The JAWS commands are listed in
4.4.4.

Link to manual:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3951772/BrailleEDGE40ManualForV1.1.doc

Brian Lee

brianllee at charter.net

4.4.4 Using the Braille EDGE with JAWS for Windows

Use the following instructions to set up the Braille EDGE 40 as a Braille
display with the JAWS screen reader from Freedom Scientific:

1) Make sure Braille EDGE 40 is powered on, in Terminal Mode, and the
Bluetooth/USB switch is set to your desired connection type. If you are
using USB, please connect the Braille EDGE to your computer via the included
USB cable.

2) Navigate to the JAWS Window and press "Alt" to open the menu.

3) Press "Enter" on the "Options" menu.

4) Use the Up or Down arrow to navigate to "Braille" and press "Enter".

5) Choose HIMS Braille EDGE as your Braille device.

6) Tab to "Advanced" and press "Enter".

7) Choose USB as the port if connecting via USB, or the correct Com Port if
using Bluetooth.

8) Tab to "OK" and press "Enter".

9) You are prompted that you must restart JAWS for the settings to take
effect. Restart JAWS for Windows, and Braille should begin displaying.

Use the Following keystrokes when using the Braille EDGE as a Braille
display with Jaws for Windows:

Movement Commands:

Top of file: Space-1-2-3.

Bottom of file: Space-4-5-6.

Say Line: Space-1-4.

Say Next Character: Space-6, Right Navigation key.

Say Next Line: Space-4, Down Navigation key.

Say Next Word: Space-5.

Say Prior Character: Space-3, Left Navigation key.

Say Prior Line: Space-1, Up Navigation key.

Say Prior Word: Space-2.

Say Current Word: Space-2-5.

Say current Character: Space-3-6.

Select All (CTRL + A): Dots 1-8, F3-dot 1.

Braille Pan Left: F1-F2,

Braille Pan Right: F3-f 4.

JAWS Home: Left up scroll + Right Up Scroll.

JAWS End: Left down scroll + Right Down Scroll.

Application and Window Functions

Toggle active cursor and Braille Cursor: Dots-3-6.

Cut selected text to clipboard: Dots-1-3-4-6.

Minimize all applications:  Dots-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8, f-7-dots-1-3-4.

Copy selected text to clipboard: dots-1-4.

Start Menu: Space-2-3-4.

Menu bar: Space-1-3-4, or F 4.

Adjust Braille options: Space-1-2-3-7.

Escape: Space-1-5 or F1.

Expand current word: Dots-2-4-5-6.

Toggle grade 2 Braille On/Off: All 4 scroll keys.

Keyboard Help: Dots-1-3.

Run Jaws Manager: Dots-2-4.

Delete: Space-1-4-5.

Jaws Window: Dots-2-4-5.

Toggle Typing Mode On/Off: Space-2-3-4-5-7.

QWERTY Keyboard Simulation Commands:

Tab: Space-4-5, or F2.

Shift-Tab: Space-1-2, or Space-F2.

Alt-Tab: Space-4-5-7, or F2-F 4.

Enter: Dot 8.

Toggle 8 pixels per space: Dots-2-3-5-6.

Move to next non-linked text: Dots 4-5-6.

Toggle and Cycle Commands:

Toggle PC and JAWS Cursor: Dot-3.

Toggle whether Active follows Braille: Dot 4.

Cycle marking (Bold, italic, underline, strike-throughall, off, highlight):
Dot-2.

Toggle 6 or 8 dot Braille: F1-Down Scroll.

Cycle Speech Mode: Dot-1.

Navigational Commands:

Back 1 display length: Up scroll.

Forward 1 display length: Down Scroll.

Move display down one line: F 4-Down Scroll.

Move display up one line: F1-Up Scroll.

Internet Explorer Commands:

Select a frame: Dots-1-2-4.

Select a link: Dots-2-4-7.

Go to Next Webpage: Dots 1-3-4-5, or Space-6-7.

Go to Previous Webpage: Dots-1-2-3-4, or Space-3-7.

Outlook Commands:

Go to Attachments List: Dots-1-2-4.

Go to Previous Message: Space-1.

Go to Next Message: Space-4.