[Trainer-Talk] NVDA and Excel

Nancy Coffman nancy.l.coffman at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 19:17:45 UTC 2018

Hello Jim,

When you use the name function in the Excel formula bar, either JAWS or NVDA will read the title of the row, column or both. I would imagine that it works in Narrator also but I haven'! tried it.

Press altogether m for the formula bar.
Press n or arrow to name.
Press enter on new.
If you are on the intersection of the row and column of what you want read as row and title headers, you can type title.
If you just want the row title spoken, type RowTitle. I capitalize the first letter of each word and you don't want a space between them.

for just the title of the column, type ColumnTitle.

There is a training page in FS Reader about how to do this. I don't remember what versions of Excel it says it works in but it works in all of them. It goes into more detail about large pages with regions.

Sent from my iPhone