[Trainer-Talk] Accessing a computer with dictation

Greg Aikens gaikens at cviga.org
Fri Sep 21 18:20:04 UTC 2018

Hello all,
I am brainstorming solutions for a client and was wondering if there is anyone on this list who has experience working with dictation solutions with a screen reader?

Typically, we require that a client be able to type at a certain speed to get full computer instruction. As a general rule this works as a good natural filter as most of my clients with low computer aptitude also struggle to learn the keyboard.

I have a client who worked as an IT Professional before going blind. Along with vision loss he has neuropathy in his hands which has made accurate touch typing difficult. He knows the keyboard and keys but struggles to quickly and accurately type. He has thrived with the iPhone and iPad but struggled with the computer. I think this is largely due to the fact that he can access the iPad with touch gestures instead of a keyboard.

I'm wondering if some form of dictation/voice control might assist him in being productive on a computer. Or, if using a Windows tablet or laptop with touch screen might give him easier access. I have no experience in either of these areas though and am looking for someone who might be able to anser a few questions.

First, what kinds of tasks are current dictation solutions good for and not good for? I am reading online about the Dictation Bridge/Windows or Dragon and J Say and dragon. It would help to hear from trainers who have worked with these systems.

Second, what is touch support like in JAWS/NVDA? I am trying to get my hands on a Windows laptop with touch screen so the client can try it out. I'm also looking for articles/reviews but any first hand experience would be great to hear.

Thanks for any help you can give.

-Greg

Greg Aikens
Senior Assistive Technology Instructor