[Trainer-Talk] (no subject)

Humberto Avila humberto_avila.it104 at outlook.com
Thu Feb 7 21:03:30 UTC 2019

Dear Kevin:

My name is Humberto and I, like you, would like to jump start into this
field of access technology. I currently hold a B.A. degree from Central
Washington University which I am sure will help me tremendously. I just
graduated from college last fall. My degree is in education, with two
minors in Accessibility Studies and Computer / Information Technology.

Also, like you, I completed my JAWS certification in December and am
JAWS certified for 2019.

I, like you perhaps, am seeking to be in this field because I see quite
an interesting but sad trend in our school districts and in our agencies
working with blind people or students with disabilities. There is a lot
of assistive devices, and just technology in general, that everybody is
getting, and they just get it in their hands and say, "Good luck! Learn
it!" And, no one has the right person / resource to help them learn the
technology, or, no one has the patience to read the manuals, and just
start being frustrated about. I saw this personally when I was going
through my student teaching / internship program at my college. So this
is why I have chosen to teach / train students and others in the
accessible technology.

I am still looking for employment myself. I can assure you tat with just
your JAWS certificate you can get ahead in this business, but you may
have to do some additional learning or going to college may also help.
If you already have a degree, as I do, then great, that should work.
Just keep persisting and insisting, and the more learning opportunities
and training yourself, as well as getting experience under your belt,
the better you opportunities.

I am glad we are in the same boat and I can't wait to hear from you again.

Best,

Humberto