[Trainer-Talk] Voc Rehab Concerns for Becoming an Assistive Technology Instructor

mevers421 at gmail.com mevers421 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 22 21:31:00 UTC 2019

Dear Federation Family,

I am sorry that I didn't get the chance to say hello to many of you at the
NFB Texas State convention.  I did participate in in the activities

and visit the exhibits while in Austin.  This year's convention was a great
experience and I am definitely looking forward to participating in my first

ever NFB national Convention next summer in Houston.

What I wanted to talk to you about is what is happening with regards to my
becoming an assistive technology Contract Instructor with TWC.  Please know

that I don't mean to sound like I am trying to have a gripe session when I
say what I am about to say.  My only intention is to achieve my
rehabilitation

goal and to start working as an Assistive Technology trainer as soon as
possible.

I also want to say that my Voc Rehab Councilor out of the TWC VRS DBS Fort
Worth Office has been a great help with supporting me in achieving my
rehabilitation

goal.  I believe that he is doing everything that he possibly can within the
scope of his authority to try and help me get employed.  He has helped me

with getting the training, paying for travel costs to travel to Austin where
I passed all of my required Phase I. and Phase II. testing.  He even had TWC

pay for the costs of my successful completion of my UNTWISE Director
Credential.  He also wants to see me teaching TWC Customers throughout the
Metroplex

as soon as the system will allow, because he understands that I meet all of
the qualifications of being an A.T. Instructor.

As some of you well know, there are not enough Assistive Technology
instructors available to teach TWC Customers in an efficient and timely
manner.  The

only problem,

is that everyone's hands are tied because of the repeated delays with the
Open Enrollment process for onboarding new Assistive Technology Contract
Instructors.

So I am in limbo and on the verge of not having housing as of January 14th,
2020 unless I start working by then.

As a solution to this problem.  I did apply for a vacant A.T. Trainer
position with Chris Cole and I have not heard anything from them in regards
to my

application.  I have also heard nothing from them in spite of my efforts to
reach out to them.  My councilor even put out a feeler as a courtesy and
they

did verify that my application was received and that it was still under
review, but they could not tell me any more than that.

I also applied for a Remote work from home customer Care position that has
become available with IFB Solutions and I am still waiting to hear back from

them on this position.  The job pays $10.00 per hour and the contract is
with Denny's Restaurants.  I have already been through two interviews and I
am

waiting to find out if they want to have a 3rd interview with me or not.  If
this works out, I will at least be able to continue keeping my benefits and

maintain my apartment beyond January 14th, 2020.  Hopefully this solution
would keep me financially stable until such time that I can get my contract
with

TWC and start generating enough referrals.

My councilor also signed me up for a job fare through TWC in December.  If I
accept a job, then I will be expected to stay in that job for at least 6
months

to 1 year.  If I accept any position, even if the position is not to be the
A.T. Instructor that I tested, and trained for, TWC will close my case after

90 days.  They will count this as a successful closure and I will no longer
have support from the TWC Division of blind Services for becoming an
Assistive

Technology Contract Instructor.  This means that if I have to travel back to
Austin for more testing, Orientation for new Contractors, purchasing any
additional

required technology upgrades, ETC, then I'm dead in the water.

My councilor said that I could reopen my case again once that happens, but I
don't think that it will be that easy.  This is why I am asking you for help

with finding out what my rights are and how I can still work within the
parameters of this New TWC System without destroying my support system that
I worked

very hard to keep in place during these difficult and stressful times.  I
have serious concerns that TWC management may be pushing my councilor to
convert

me into a successful closure and that is not fare to him nor me.  The reason
I suspect this is going on, is because my councilor had said that my seeking

gainful employment has been going on for more than a year and that TWC
already spent a lot of money on my equipment, training and testing, yet TWC
has

not been able

to count me as a successful closure.  This is why I strongly urge everyone
in our State affiliate to carry out the resolution that was passed at this
year's

State convention concerning the Texas Workforce Commission, so that we can
make things better for all Texans.  I sent an email to Norma Crosby, our NFB

Texas Affiliate president promising her that I will do everything that I

possibly can to get involved and help out.  I also challenge my fellow
Federationists to get involved and do what needs to be done under Norma's
direction

and guidance.

Here is my question.  Anyone can answer this.  Can anyone in the NFB direct
me or put me in touch with the right people who can help me protect my

rights as a TWC Customer who genuinely wants to have a career as an
Assistive Technology Trainer?  Thank you and I look forward to reading your

Have a happy Thanksgiving.  Regardless of what is going on right now, we all
truly have a lot to be thankful for.

Yours in the Federation,

Mike Evers

 <mailto:Mevers421 at gmail.com> Mevers421 at gmail.com