[Trainer-Talk] NVDA resources

Humberto Avila Humberto_Avila.IT104 at outlook.com
Tue Sep 17 22:55:20 UTC 2019

Hi Ashley,

NVDA is indeed very similar to JAWS. Some feature of JAWS carry over to NVDA, from a windows user's perspective.
It does support firefox, Chrome, and even supports Edge browser better than JAWS.
What sets NVDA apart from some other screen readers is that NVDA is very customizable, meaning that there are many settings you can change in it. For example, the first time you use NVDA on the web, you might wat to toggle the setting called "Use screen layout" from On to Off, which is On for default, and it allows NVDA to read visually wat is on the screen like if there is a left navigation links bar on the left and information text in the middle. I usually don't want that. The key to turn it off is Insert+V.

You will also notice that the Insert key is called NVDA key in that screen reader so don't be confused as to what key that is.

The first thing I would actually do when playing with NVDA screen reader is to Press Insert+N to go to the NVDA menu, then H for help submenu, and scroll down on the menu to see the NVDA user guide and press enter on it. A standard web page will come up and you can navigate it just like you have navigated pages in JAWS on your default Web browser. The guide explains more keystrokes you can use in NVDA, that is, if you're into reading user guides.

Happy exploring! If you have further questions, please let me know.

Sincerely,
Humberto
NVDA Certified Expert 2019 http://certification.nvAccess.org/