[Trainer-Talk] accessible screen casting software

Humberto Avila humberto_avila.it104 at outlook.com
Mon Jul 27 04:18:14 UTC 2020

Dear Ashley,

Hope you are also doing well in these troubling times.

There are two options to go about this. I will explain about OBS (Open broadcasting software) and Zoom itself.

I personally use the OBS app to record content from the computer's sound as well as my voice if I want to do demonstrations. I've done accessibility feedbacks in this way and it really works. The link to download this app is below, although I gather you are using Windows, but the page asks for what OS you are downloading anyway so you know.

https://obsproject.com/download

All you do is specify, once you install it, that you want to record video of inside your system, E.G. your screen, as its main source, other wise you'd end up with blank video with the audio. Then set the file extention as MP4 to record to. Do extention works well if say, you are doing Youtube or something.

The other app I mentioned is Zoom. The only catch is you need a Zoom account to try this out, and for the most part it is free.  But Zoom has a really neat and straightforward way to capture both your screen and PC sound. Zoom also has very easy key commands to remember and lookup. Technically you would share your screen, and check the box that says you want to share computer sound in the dialog box that comes up, then when done, you just start recording. In addition, you can start your demos on Zoom with your video from your Webcam turned on, so people could see you.

Depending on what kind of demo / presentations you intent to do, you have options. I would be mindful of recording JAWS, however, as it might get in the way and generate unwanted distractions, unless you actually recording JAWS as part of your demos.

Good luck!! Hope this helps you.

Have a terrific summer.

Humberto

“Positive thinking leads to a positive attitude which leads to positive actions which lead to positive outcomes.”
— ME