[Trainer-Talk] Becoming an assistive technology trainer

Enrique Mejia Enrique.Mejia at blind.state.ia.us
Mon May 17 18:39:18 UTC 2021

I do not believe that there is any actual training that is neither necessary nor useful when it comes to training. I have a BA in history, and have learned most of what I know from others in the field.
I am an instructor in Iowa and have been in the field for over 10 years. For the most part you just need to teach technology with the understanding that teaching tech to blind people is not much different than teaching sighted people.
In my experience those who have advanced degrees don't necessarily become good teachers. In fact I have met many who are great at using technology, problem solving and are able to learn things quickly but often are not good at teaching. IN my opinion what you need is passion for teaching, and the ability to teach individuals from all walks of life.
I would often rather have someone who can build themselves to be able to teach the students in an agency and  address a student's individual needs rather than having some generic way of teaching.

I do think that there a lot of people in this email list who have been in the field much longer than me and can teach you more than any degree can. . Just be willing to reach out and ask questions.
Hope this helps

Enrique.