[Trainer-Talk] Becoming an assistive technology trainer

Scott Davert kc8pnl at gmail.com
Mon May 17 20:20:50 UTC 2021

Hi Kelsey.
I suppose that depends on how serious you are about wanting to get
formal training and to what extent you wish to practice teaching
adaptive tech. Generally, the certifications out there can increase
your likelihood of getting hired, and also an increase in pay. This
has been something I've seen happen both for contractors and full time
positions. Whether we agree with requiring a certification or any kind
of formal training, our society is often set up to where a
certification or degree in a related field will land you more job
opportunities. I've witnessed people without degrees who have a knack
for teaching excel in the field, and I've come across some people who
have a related degree but who clearly missed something in the transfer
of knowledge between the textbook and real life. Sadly, though, that
piece of paper or certification will open doors that a lack of one
can't. I agree with many of the things Enrique has written, there is
certainly value for the student when they get someone who knows their
stuff and is an everyday user of the same technology. Passion is
important, but of equal importance in my view is the ability to
actively assess whether the person you are teaching is learning, and
if they're not, to adjust on the fly to meet their vocabulary and
communications needs.
That said, if you decide to pursue more employment, schooling in a
related field will help you get a higher paying job, or if you are
planning to be a paid contractor, it will give you more contract
assignments in most cases. In some instances, it can be the difference
between being qualified for a higher paying job or not. Some agencies,
for example, will offer a significant raise for certification. So as
not to breach confidentiality, I will not disclose the agency or
person, but I know someone who was originally hired and later became a
certified CATIS. This individual received a 10% raise and a
congratulatory bonus of $500. Ultimately, it will depend on how much
you want to earn, how many operating systems and different types of
configurations you are able to teach effectively, and of course to
some extent who you know.
These aren't facts, just my perspective. You can get JAWS certified
without even requiring a degree, but you would need to Google for the
details on pricing and all that. Same with the CATIS, which I am
hoping to take later this year. The CATIS has a lot of requirements,
though, some of them academic. That would definitely need a degree in
a related field along with experience to be eligible to take the exam.
In sum, the more you put into it, the more you can get out of it.
That, at least for me, is true of the reward one gets from teaching
others to the financial. The larger your skill set, the more people's
lives you have the chance to positively impact.

Wishing you luck on your career path!,
Scott
Scott Davert, MA, VRT
Coordinator, Technology Research and Innovation Center
Helen Keller National Center for DeafBlind Youths and Adults
141 Middle Neck RD.
Sands Point NY, 11050
Text: (646) 470-8587
Scott.davert at hknc.org <mailto:Scott.davert at hknc.org>