[Trainer-Talk] Saving to OneDrive

Brian Vogel britechguy at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 18:22:54 UTC 2022

Tom,

The answer is definitely, "Yes."  The precise "how" depends on whether you
want this to be the case only in Word and Excel, or you want it to apply
globally under Windows such that OneDrive is where your materials
are stored by default.  Under Windows 10 and 11 in current versions, fresh
installs are actually set up to use OneDrive by default and you have to
change things to get it to be only on your machine.

Presuming you only want this in Word and Excel.  Do Word first to make life
easier:
1. Hit ALT + F, T [File Backstage View, Options]
2. Navigate to the Save Pane, then hit Tab to get into the items it contains
3. Hit the Word/Excel shortcut letter, I, once.  This should throw focus to
the edit box for *Default local file location*.  The initial setting on
your machine is likely going to read:  C:\Users\{your acct shorthand
here}\Documents.
4-Word. In Word, Hit Tab once to get to the Browse button for this edit
box, and activate it.
4-Excel. Paste the path you copied when doing word into the Default local
file location edit box.
5-Word. Do the usual thing in the Modify Location dialog, which acts just
like a Save or Save As dialog, to locate your OneDrive and the specific
folder under Documents where you wish to have the files from Word/Excel
saved.  When working with Word, copy the folder path you just navigated to
once it's placed in the Edit box.
5-Excel. In Excel 2016, and this may be different in later versions, the
Browse button is not present and you'll want to paste the path you copied
when working with Word into Excel's *Default local file location* edit box,
then do any editing on the end of the path name if you want to use a
different subfolder than you do for Word.)
6. Navigate to the OK button for the Word/Excel Options dialog, and
activate it.  You're done.