[Trainer-Talk] Google Voice on the web

Humberto Avila humberto_avila.it104 at outlook.com
Sat Mar 26 21:18:45 UTC 2022

Dear Kelsy,

Thanks for asking your question. This is a very relevant question actually, as many of us have had to rely on systems like Google Voice to interact with clients during the pandemic.

I use Google Voice personally. I regularly call into NFB Newsline® service with Google Voice. What I do, is simply use my single letter navigation keys in JAWS or NVDA to interact with the main Google Voice page. For example, anywhere in that page, if I want to call, I usually press 'E' to get to the Enter a name or Number edit box. With this box, I can type in, say, the NFB Newsline number, which I know by memory, but I can also input a contact name in here. Once I type in the number, I press Enter. While the Google Voice system initializes my call, I get placed immediately on the “Hang up” button. Pressing Shift+Tab a couple of times brings me to the “Open Keypad” button. Once I activate with Spacebar or Enter, I do a tab also a number of times until I am placed in a “DialPad Entry box” edit field. Note I can use letter 'E' again like I've used to input the number, to get there. When I am in this text field, and Forms Mode / Focus Mode is turned on, I can just dial in numbers to send to the automated system — in my case, operating the Newsline system and choosing the publication(s) I like to read.

That's Google Voice in a nutshell. Note that you can also use the texting and voiceMail checking functions of Google Voice; pressing the Apostrophe (') key will take me to the “Calls,” “Messages,” and other relevant tabs on the page which invoke those particular functions. You can enable browser-based notifications to answer incoming calls and receive texts in real-time just like if it were an actual neat desk phone. Answering calls is a matter of going to the bottom of the page and pressing Shift+B (button) to find the answer call button.

Hope all this helps. Feel free to email me off list if you have more questions.

Sincerely,
Humberto

“Be kind; for everyone you meet is fighting a really hard battle.” — πλατο