[Trainer-Talk] RIM Vs. JAWS Tandem for training

Brian Vogel britechguy at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 01:56:10 UTC 2023

I'm probably opening a can of worms here, but some of this depends on
whether you are a blind versus sighted instructor and how you need to
control the client/student's computer, remotely.

I know that almost everywhere else I participate I have made quite plain
that I am fully sighted, but if I have not here I have now.

I have never used JAWS Tandem nor NVDA Remote because I just don't have to,
even though I know each of those screen readers pretty well and do a lot of
tutoring.

I never do tutoring sessions or tech support with my clients who are blind
(or even sighted, when we're talking about remote support) without an open
phone line between us.  In the case of working with a screen reader user, I
make sure that their phone is positioned so that I can not only hear them
clearly, but the output of the screen reader as well.

I try to make a point of training all of them on how to set up a Microsoft
Quick Assist session, because it's free, built in to all modern Windows
machines, and allows me to request and get complete remote control.  It is
capable, but not 100% consistent, about reconnecting a session if the
assistant remains online, the assistee's machine is restarted, and they
fire up Quick Assist again.  But in most cases, I just stay on the phone
and establish a new Quick Assist session.

I honestly cannot remember if I've ever tried issuing screen reader
commands from my end when I have control remotely.  I do know that there
are several (but very few) key presses that one can't "send across the
remote divide" but all I do if I hit one of those is to ask the client to
do that key press and away we go.

If you happen to be a sighted instructor, using Quick Assist is absolutely
a valuable tool for remote support and tutoring.  I'd have to set up a
session with someone using JAWS or NVDA when I am not to confirm whether or
not I can issue screen reader commands directly from my end.  If that can
be done, then this is likely a viable tools for instructors who are blind,
too, so long as you can hear the screen reader output on the remote end.

Brian