[Travelandtourism] If you want to become a travel agent

ROBYN R WALLEN robynwallen at juno.com
Sat Jan 2 19:00:37 UTC 2010

Cheryl.

        First of all I am familiar with Montrose Travel and it is a legit
agency although not one of my favorites but that had more to do with
agents I spoke with than the company.   The TA university classes as well
as Iata and Clia classes are all good and I do not know if you took the
actual certified agent course or not (that you usually have to go in to
take the test at a local community college), or not but they are
providing you with training which is my big point.  Sometimes people get
rooked in and think I will pay and be a travel agent and it does not work
like that.  I dont think that TA Univ does the certifacation but I cannot
remember who does it.  I was not talking about you personally but just
making the point because you cannot just one day say I want to be an
agent and be one.  There are a lot of websites out there that tout that.
Another big scam a few years by was YCB travel which was a pyramid scheme
and also a few others that have not only cost people lots of money but in
some cases there jobs as they did this on the side of a regular travel
job.    I think it was YCB something like that.  Anyway I did not want
you to think I was targeting you but just sharing some valueable
information and it urks me as someone who took a lot of real training and
worked in the industry a lot of years and trust me in my case it was over
a years worth of training along with ongoing courses thru iata, clia and
tauniv among others.  I just did the Vegas certified new modules and just
an FYI for you there are some great benefits and great rates and some
awesome Fam trips thru Wynn and Encore.

Robyn