[Travelandtourism] good morning all 1 week before my cruise on the latest ship from Norwegian Cruise Lines the Epic

cheryl echevarria cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 28 13:43:28 UTC 2010

I can't believe after the long wait, I am leaving tomorrow to fly to Miami to start my vacation.  We are staying at the Marriot Biscayne Bay Hotel in Miami the day before our cruise on the Norwegian Epic which sails November 6-13.

November 6th is our 11th Wedding Anniversary, and the 7th is 18 years since our 1st date we always celebrate both.

Any if you are not registered to my wordpress.com blog yet, please sign up to receive updates link is http://www.echevarriatravel.wordpress.com<http://www.echevarriatravel.wordpress.com/> it is one of the most accessible blogs that I have used so I hope you will join, you can get postings sent directly to your e-mail.

Anyway, we almost all packed.  For those of you who are still negative about Norwegian Cruise Lines, either by sailing with them in the past or having issues with guide dogs etc.  I have personally been in contact with the Manager of the Access Department in Miami, her name is Cathy Vazquez, and I will be meeting with her for dinner the night before our cruise as well.

She has also helped and spoke with personally a few people who have heard negative things or experienced them in the past.

Because I want to check to make sure everyone is working together, I am asking for all assistance possible, mind you I do not need it, but they do not know that so, the only way to make sure that they are doing there jobs correctly, I am putting them to the test.  For those of you who are reading this that are not blind or handicapped, I am blind myself, and specialize in travel services for the blind and disabled.

Now all of these service are available to everyone and not just me.

When I made our reservations, now this is before I was a travel agent, and this is over a year ago, see you can book on some cruise lines up to 2 years in advance, so that way you can put a deposit down and put away money every month or you can to elect a travel agent such as myself to make payments on a monthly bases directly for you.

Anyway, back to pre-boarding.  I let the reservationist now that I am blind, it helps if you start out by saying that you have a disability, and now they will not ask you to bring someone along with you that is sighted, they did that years ago and haven't done that since 2002, that has been changed a long time, and if the reservationist tells you that then speak to a manager, but hopefully all of you reading this will be working with me on your trip so you don't have to deal with uneducated reservationists.

They asked me if I needed a handicapped accessible room, I said no, but if I did there are few on the ships so if you need them ask for them in advance.  The advances are for one, you are near the elevators, and your stateroom has accessible shows that is you need to roll into them they have them, the rooms are wider for wheelchair accessibility. Also, if you are on oxygen, please let them know this, some oxygen are not allowed on the ships, so make sure you mention this.

Also, Norwegian and many of the other cruise lines do not have menus or activity sheets in braille, but they are available on your phone, and on your TV on the cruise access channel every day.

Prior to us arriving, I was given the name and phone number of the Access Desk person on the ship, they have a department on every ship that specializes in accessibility, and they will listen for advice on how to fix issues.  This person will be meeting us in customs area and will help us getting on the ship, and also giving us a tour of the ship as well.

We are not taking Maxx with us this time, Anniversary, but a friend of ours who is also blind is taking her guide dog, and I will give updates on all services and if any issues that arise with her.  I haven't told them that I know her, I didn't just want them to try and please me I wanted them to do there job.

But at the same token, she informed the cruise line she is bringing her dog, rather I told reservations that she is.  For those of you who are thinking why should I even let them know that I am bringing the dog, well I will tell you.  For one, they want to know what kind of stuff you would like for you dog in there busy box, or parking box, which ever terminology you use to say bathroom for your dog.  If they don't know they wont do it.

They will also put the box in an area that is safe and secure, but out of the way.  They will also ask you and this is new, does you dog need a bowl for food, hey if I don't need to bring something for my dog and take up less space why not.  Or you don't have to these are options for you.

So now we will see what happens.

look for my updates on this starting the 15th of November.

http://Echevarriatravel.com<http://echevarriatravel.com/>
1-866-580-5574
Reservations at echevarriatravel.com<mailto:Reservations at echevarriatravel.com>

Affiliated as an Independent Contractor with Absolute Cruise and Travel Inc.

join my yahoogroup
echevarriatravel-subscribe at yahoogroups.com<mailto:echevarriatravel-subscribe at yahoogroups.com>