[Travelandtourism] Disney launches interactive, social media campaign

cheryl echevarria cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 24 13:53:16 UTC 2010

>From Travel Weekly

Disney launches interactive, social media campaign
By: Michelle Baran
September 23, 2010
NEW YORK -- Walt Disney Parks and Resorts unveiled a marketing campaign,
"Let the Memories Begin," that will feature guests' own Disney-inspired
photos and videos in commercial spots that will begin airing this week.

And starting Jan. 1, guest photos also will be projected daily on Cinderella
Castle at Walt Disney World and on the "It's a Small World" ride at
Disneyland.

The campaign, which includes television ads, online spots and social media
marketing materials, kicks off with a TV commercial created from videos that
were posted in Disney social media forums.

Starting in January, Disney photographers will snap guests throughout the
day at Walt Disney World and Disneyland. At nighttime, those photos will
then be projected on the spires of Cinderella Castle in Orlando and on the
facade of the "It's a Small World" ride in California. As many as 500 photos
will be used in each location every day, producers estimated.

For future TV commercials and other advertising and marketing programs,
guests are invited to upload photos and videos at a "Let the Memories Begin"
microsite.

"This becomes our first user-generated show and our first user-generated
marketing campaign," Tom Staggs, chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts,
said at a media event in New York to reveal the new campaign.

Unlike past media events, there was no revelation of any aggressive
promotion like those the company has offered in the last two years. Past
promotions included the free birthday admission offer in 2009 and this
year's offer of giving 1 million community volunteers free admission.

While Staggs would not say what kind of promotion activity Disney Parks has
planned for 2011, he did hint that whatever Disney introduced would be toned
down.

"You're going to see a trend toward a little more normalized promotion
activity," said Staggs.

http://Echevarriatravel.com
1-866-580-5574
Reservations at echevarriatravel.com

Affiliated as an Independent Contractor with Absolute Cruise and Travel Inc.

join my yahoogroup
echevarriatravel-subscribe at yahoogroups.com