[Travelandtourism] What is the travel and tourism Division?

cheryl echevarria cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 25 11:15:40 UTC 2011

Good morning everyone:

We hope you have your ears on today, or at least our Jaws, windoweyes or
zoomtext, which ever you are using. I have been in a funny mood since
yesterday.

Started on the jobs/blindtalk list and went from there.

Last night our division had its first ever board meeting outside of the
National Convention, we right now will be having it every other month, and
hope that you all will join us in the future.

As the subject lines says What is the travel and tourism division? It also
sounds like a good article for the braille monitor, and if the board is for
it, that we each post a part of the article of what it means to us and the
NFB.

Well first, this is not for the travel professionals, which I think many
have that idea. Maurice Shackelford, 1st Vice President (owns
Peachtreetravel.net, April Scheppe, 2nd Vice President, is a brand new
travel partner in the industry, and Anahit LaBarre, owns LaBarre Travel, and
myself Cheryl Echevarria, President of the Division (owns Echevarria
Travel), we we are all in the travel industry, and that is a help with this
type of division. So that we have the knowledge to give you all in how
travel works, meaning rules and regulations, websites, airlines, cruise
lines, etc.

This division is for those who love to travel, want to know about others who
have experienced the good and the bad about traveling, the government
issues, etc.

I like the word this morning etc. etc. etc.; if you don't know that is from
the "King and I".

We want this division to be a go to but the NFB in general. Like they go to
NAGDU about guide dogs and the issues around them, they go to the Diabetic
Division in the same way, Parent of Blind Children, and the list goes on and
on.

So this division would like to work with all of you and the others divisions
as well.

Let's face it, we need to travel and traveling affects us.

We discussed this last night, our Secretary, Mary Donahue is working hard at
the minutes so we can post at least for this time to the talk list.

Our first priority that we have decided basically to work on membership
because if we don't have members we don't have a division.

Thank you.

Cheryl Echevarria
President at nfb-travel.org