[Travelandtourism] More things to consider not to do when planning your first cruise

cheryl echevarria cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 1 18:25:26 UTC 2011

This comes from Cruise Critic, one of the website I use and that a client can use to know more about other people who have traveled, and remember, like everyone, people have different ideas of travel, likes and dislikes.  So some things you might think is a dislike might be a like for someone else.

Don't pick the wrong cruise - or cabin. For first-time cruisers, it is important that you match your personal preferences to a cruise line that best fits your personality or that best fits what you are looking for this specific vacation. That being said, be wary of creating too high a precedent. "Don't book a suite as your first cruise cabin. You will be forever spoiled and NOT ever want to book anything else!

This can happen especially if you want to cruise again with friends and family, and that you may not be able to afford the Balcony, and have to go either interior or Oceanview.

Which I myself totally understand, Nelson and I love traveling balcony, and we have to step down on a cruise next year with oceanview.

Most people feel like once you go balcony and or Suite with butler you can never go back.

Don't pick the wrong person to travel with.

Don't take the wrong person along. An anti-social misfit is not going to be a fun cruise companion. If you are a social butterfly and the person you are traveling with doesn't like playing games or going with the flow, you are not going to have fun.

Don't underestimate the power of the buffet. Don't forget to save your looser-fitting clothes to wear at the end of the cruise . you will gain weight as the week goes on, unless you are working out at the gym, but myself, with walking around and dancing and having a good time the food you eat on the cruise, will burn off, again, unless you are a foodie, you might gain a pound or two.

Don't take packing lightly. One of my tips is, don't pack your passport in your luggage or bathing suit or a change of clothes. Carry a carry-on bag, your luggage will be taken to your away, and you might not get it until the evening. You will not be let onboard until they find your luggage among thousands of luggage for your passport. Everything, including a light rain coat, is always at hand.

Don't spend your money on things you don't need. Do limit your purchases of Caribbean-style clothing. It is easy to get caught up in the ambience but I promise that once you get back home? You won't wear it like you thought you would. Ask me how I know.

Don't forget to save room for souvenirs. Splurging is one thing, but you'll most certainly want to bring home a few mementos, so make sure you have room in your luggage. Pack a collapsible extra bag for all the stuff you will bring home even though you swore you weren't getting anything!

Don't use the elevators if you can avoid them. Waiting for the elevator could easily take you five minutes each way. You waste a lot of time waiting, and there are many who really need to use it. Like people who cannot walk stairs and people in wheelchairs

Don't forget to slather it on. Sunscreen, that is. Sunburn isn't fun at home, why would you want it on vacation?

Don't forget to pack your chill pills. Don't complain! You are on an incredible ship, eating incredible food, having your bed made several times a day and people from around the world are AWAY from their FAMILIES to serve us, the cruise passenger guests insists.  Remember that even when things go wrong, you can still have fun if you take it all in stride.
Example:  Mother Nature you never know how the water and the weather is until it happens. Sometimes you will not go where you want or do what you want.
Case in point: Nelson and I went on a cruise last year, one of the ports of call was the Bahamas, but because of the high winds, the captain decided to stay a day at sea and away from the Bahamas. I'd rather be safe then sorry myself.  We got free drinks, got our money back on the port of call fees, I won a black jack.
Or possibly you wont be able to go to the pool, so check out the spa and other stuff you would never do if you are a pool person.

http://www.echevarriatravel.com<http://www.echevarriatravel.com/>
631-456-5394
reservations at echevarriatravel.com<mailto:reservations at echevarriatravel.com>

For daily updates read our blog at