[Travelandtourism] international cane travel

Wendy David wendydav at mindspring.com
Thu Oct 6 02:57:50 UTC 2011

Hi.  Although I usually travel with a Guide Dog, I have been to Paris,
Amsterdam, London, Copenhagen, and Scandinavia with a cane only. I found
that it was much easier for me to navigate with a rolling tip cane, as many
of the streets are cobblestoned and the sidewalks can be quite old. I used a
California folding cane with roling tip and had few problems.  I also had an
older NFB telescopic cane with metal tip and found this caught in many of
the cracks, resulting in the cane collapsing while I walked. Hope this
helps.  Have a great trip and let us know how you fared.
Wendy David
"Sites Unseen: Traveling the World without Sight," National Braille Press,
2010.