[Travelandtourism] Welcome to Paradise

Peter Donahue pdonahue2 at satx.rr.com
Mon Jan 16 21:08:00 UTC 2012

Good afternoon everyone,

    Cheryl told us about a program on The Cooking Channel about Bora-Bora
and the cuisine enjoyed by the islanders. Their culture is very similar to
that in Hawaii. Like Hawaii Bora-Bora was settled by the ancient Polinesians
so there would be cultural similarrities including the pig cooked in the
ground.

We watched that program last night and liked the approach taken gby its
producers. They mixed culture in with explaining the various dishes prepared
on the island. They have different names for some of the customs found in
Hawaii. A Hawaiian Moo-Moo is a dress similar to the one discussed in the
program last night and is made very much the same way.

    Dancing is also very popular in Bora-Boran life particularly during
celebrations. The islanders do a dance similar to the Hoola. there is lots
more moving, twisting and shaking than in the traditional Hoola.

Near the end of the show they showed Bora-Bora's version of a Hawaiian Luau.
The name of it escapes me. Like Luaus these feasts are held at sun-set
complete with lots of food and entertainment. We had a luau when I was at
summer camp. I had the chance to try some Hawaiian food such as Poy. It's a
mixture made from fish and other ingreedience in to which one can dip
crackers, chips, vegetables, etc.

    It was a great program although I fell asleep during some of it.
Hopefully they'll show it again. I wonder if The Cooking Channel makes their
shows available on DVD for purchass as other cable channels such as
Discovery and National Geographic do? Did anyone else watch that program?
Since Madam President told us about it we wanted to weigh in on it.

Peter Donahue