[Travelandtourism] Service Animals

cheryl echevarria cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 24 02:37:31 UTC 2012

When traveling with your dog on a cruise, the person who has organized your cruise or your travel agent, should have sent you paperwork on access issues.  All travel professionals should be asking this as well, whether or not you are blind, deaf, have allergies, use oxygen, need any special accommodations. If like you said, you are going on an NFB Group Cruise in September, which I didn't hear about it, wow, I would have gone.  LOL.
Anyway, contact them.
In general, when traveling with a guide dog or service animal, the cruise lines will ask for copies of a health certificate be sent to the cruise lines prior to cruising, with all the updated shots.  Now don't do this now Steve, this is done a week prior to cruising that this certificate needs to be done, your vet will tell you when to get it done.  It must be done by a USDA Veterinarian, they have a special stamp that they use for this purpose.
Also, Canada doesn't need anything else special for traveling with a service animal, they follow our laws, but you must carry also the health certificate with you, should customs ask to see them.
When I was in the Bahamas, which is a different story all together, I was asked by the Bahamas Customs agent to see my dogs paperwork, this is the health certificate.
Now getting back to the cruise itself, you need to let the cruise lines now you are bringing the dog, and have the agent of record fill out the access forms for you and submit them.
I hope this helps.

reservations at echevarriatravel.com

For daily updates read our blog at
http://www.echevarriatravel.wordpress.com