[Travelandtourism] back from Alaska

Julie J. julielj at neb.rr.com
Wed Jun 20 20:03:39 UTC 2012

I didn't go through a travel agent or tour company.  I contacted each
guide individually and booked the trips myself.
The clam guide was Mary Clock booked through Soaring Eagle Village owned
and operated by John Burn.  The museum and visitors centers were local
things, we just walked in without reservations.  The ferry is a
regularly scheduled daily or most days, trip.  You can purchase tickets
in advance, but it's not really necessary unless you were in a big group
or something.  The kayaking was with Seaside Adventures owned and
operated by Rick and Dorla Harness.  The fishing was through Skookum
Charters owned and operated by Jim Lavrakas. The dog sled place was
called the Howling Husky Homestead and the woman was Linda but I can't
remember her last name.

Something to keep in mind about rural Alaska is that you are dealing
with individuals, not large companies.  Most have web sites, but
internet is not as used up there as it is here.  I don't think there was
an option to book any  of these trips via an internet form.  I contacted
them by email or phone and set things up.  The fishing guide and the
kayaking guides live in places that don't have electricity.  Sometimes
you have to wait days in between messages because they aren't in a place
where they have access to internet.  Even the mail is only delivered by
boat twice a week out on the tiny islands where we were.

HTH
Julie