[Travelandtourism] a travel question

Wendy David wendydav at mindspring.com
Thu Mar 1 03:27:56 UTC 2012

Hi. I've been to Hawaii 4 times now with my Guide Dog.  I do not know if the
rules are the same for hearing dogs as for Guide Dogs, but here is the
information I included in my book: Sites Unseen: Traveling the World without
Sight.  it gives the website for the information you will  need.  Good luck.

Wendy David

If you would like to travel to Hawaii with your dog guide, remember that
travel to that state is more regulated, to prevent introduction of rabies to
the islands.  Pets and non-service animals must be quarantined upon arrival.
However, dog guides can now enter Hawaii without quarantine, but not without
advanced planning.  All dogs must enter through the Honolulu International
Airport, must be micro chipped, and benchmark tested for rabies. The State
of Hawaii Quarantine Station must receive advance notification of the dog
guide's scheduled arrival. For more information about Hawaii's guide dog
entry requirements, visit:
http://www.hawaiiag.org/hdoa/ai_aqs_guidedog.htm

In the United States, Kansas State University is the authorized facility for
blood
test screening of dog guides traveling to Hawaii and internationally. For
information about their rabies titer testing services, costs, and time
constraints, go to:
www.vet.ksu.edu/rabies