[Travelandtourism] Guide Dogs and Animal Venues

Peter Donahue pdonahue2 at satx.rr.com
Wed Mar 28 15:56:40 UTC 2012

Hello Margo and everyone,

    Super! Let's see. You must have taken the Life of the Cajun Swamp Tour
when the national conventions were held in New Orleans. During both the 1991
and 1997 conventions we did that tour. Both times we took the boat ride down
the bayou and were close to alligators and other swamp critters. In 1997 we
had the chance to hold a baby alligator. When I held the alligator it nor my
then guide dog Tim became alarmed. This is surprising as Tim was very feisty
and could be a handful to handle.

    I had Ogden in 1991. During that particular swamp tour we visited a
gentlemen who I believe was involved in wildlife rescue. He took us to his
back yard and allowed us to touch and handle some of the animals he was
rehabbing. I had a nutria fall asleep in my arms while Ogden sat calmly by
my side. We also handled baby raccoons, baby alligators, and some other
creatures I can't remember in close proximity with our dogs and without
incident.

The same was true in1994 when a friend and I visited Greenfield Village
during that national convention. We toured the farm and were able to hold
baby chicks and pat some sheep along with witnessing a sheepdog
demonstration. Again this  was with Ogden by my side and in close proximity.

    In 1987 we went to Rawhide a recreation of a western town near Phoenix.
There livestock ran loose in the streets. Ogden decided to make friends with
some of the sheep even to kissing one of them. This setting was similar to
what a petting zoo would be like at Animal Kingdom and other zoos and
wildlife parks around the country. Again there was no hint of aggression and
everyone including Ogden and the sheep enjoyed themselves.

    We've also been to several horse and cattle ranches and  never had any
problems with my dogs and the ranch animals.

        I've been to a number of aquariums including Sea World here in San
Antonio and the Aquarium of the Americas in New Orleans. Sea World has birds
that run loose in their enclosures which are very open particularly Flamingo
Cove. The Aquarium of the Americas has a tropical rain forest exhibit which
is similar to a bird aviary where guests can enter and be among free-flying
birds in addition to various fish species in tanks throughout the rain
forest. Ogden was with me and all went without a hitch.

    I've visited numerous state and county fairs with my first dog Nash and
my second dog Ogden. I even showed chickens at several of these fairs and at
some poultry shows in Texas. Since chickens can get worked up when they feel
threatened and since I would be in the show barn for the duration of the
event I put Nash in a room where the chickens couldn't see him or chained
him up out side near the barn so I could check on him to be sure he was all
right.

    Another animal encounter took place at Fiesta Texas quite unexpectedly.
I stopped to ask for directions. The next thing I knew I had a maccaw
purched on my head. He was joined by an African Grey Parrot that was placed
on my left arm. An amazon Parrot was placed on my right arm. The gentlemen
who owned the birds then took a picture of me and gave me a copy. All that
time Ogden sat by my side and did not attempt to go after the birds nor did
the birds become aggresssive towards him. It was quite an experience that
demmonstrates that when handled well our dogs are not a threat to zoo
animals, nor does its presence create a hazard for the animal collection or
other park guests.

As all ready mentioned I've visited several zoos with my dogs. These ranged
from roadsize animal attractions to major zoos like the Audubon Zoo in New
Orleans, The Detroit Zoo, and the North Carolina Zoological Gardens in
Ashborough North Carolina. In all three cases we were not restricted from
any area of the zoo including the petting zoo. The only thing that happened
along that line was during our visit to the zoo in North Carolina they
requested that a ranger accompany us during our time in the park. I gladly
said okay and we saw just about every exhibit they had. we didn't make it in
to the chimp exhibit but that was our choosing. At no time was there a
problem between my dog and the other animals on display.

    Eventually the rangers went away and left us to tour the rest of the zoo
on our own. One of them told me that they had a previous guest with a guide
dog in the zoo that wasn't well controlled. He didn't say if they asked them
to leave or what happened. I assured them with both words and my example
that most guide dog handlers control their dogs well and should there be
problems with a particular handler in the future they have the legal right
to ask them to leave the  part of the zoo where the problem is occuring. If
the situation is extreme they can have the dog and/or the team removed from
the park.

    In 1998 we went to Six Flags over Texas. By now I had Tim who
accompanied me on that tour. To escape the heat we went inside a building
where a live animal show was performing. After the show we were invited to
touch some of the animal performers. These ranged from mice to a llama. We
were able to handle many of the animals. Here again we were in close
proximity and there was no sign of fear or aggression where the animals and
Tim were concerned. I've also taken several dogs in to dog and cat shows
without incident.

    I'll wind this up by sharing with you "The legend of the Eagle." In 2000
Mary, myself and another friend of ours traveled to Phoenix for a business
conference similar to the one in St. Lewis that I spoke of previously. The
"Save the Eagle Foundation" had an exhibit there including a live American
Balled Eagle. And it wasn't just any eagle. It was "Challenger." Challenger
was found by hunters. Since he was injured he was almost killed. He was
rescued by a wildlife sanctuary and was raised domestically. Since his
injuries made him unsutable for release bak in to the wild Challenger was
trained to perform exhibition fly-overs and was featured as entertainment
for many big-name events. He was named Challenger in honor of the space
shuttle Challenger and her crew.

    During the conference Challenger performed a fly-in while the national
anthem was sung on the second night of the event. A lady named Eve Selis
sang while challenger performed. I had Tim with me during this event. I
doubt Challenger even knew he was there. When Eve finished singing the
national anthem Challenger swooped down and landed on her head. I'm not sure
if that was planned or if Challenger thought Eve's head was the most
convenient purch he could find to take a rest. Hopefully Eve wore a special
head piece so Challenger could land without hurting her. Eagles are raptors
with long tallans which can pierce through to the bone. Since Eve sang for
our Sunday morning worship service I'm sure no harm was done.

    Since the incident generated some negative publicity concerning animal
performances at live events this story wasn't widely shared until after
Challenger died several years ago. And we were eye witnesses to this event.

    Like Margo and hopefully others I've had a wide variety of animal
encounters accompanied by my guide dogs. These are the kinds of stories we
need to collect and share with entities who question the presence of guide
and service dogs in their venues. All the best.

Peter Donahue