[Travelandtourism] title VI

DJ Reese atlanticstar1 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 00:34:15 UTC 2013

Hello list:

I was asked to post the latest going on with our local transportation agency
here in the Atlanta Metro area called Marta.

Title VI.  What is it?  Its a provision by where Marta can cut service in an
area that falls to less than 25% of the populated area without warning or
public notice.  Under this provision, there could be a real chance you could
go to work on Friday using your normal mode of public transit, the bus,
train or Para Transit and by Monday without any notice, you could be waiting
for something that isn't coming.

They had a series of public hearings last week regarding Title VI and
there's also a survey put out by Marta asking, what percentage of the area
population you could live with.  Surprisingly or not surprised, zero percent
isn't one of the choices on the survey.  Leading most people to believe,
Title VI will pass the Marta board.  The big question is what will the
percentage be?

this could have huge ramifications on us the disabled who ride and depend on
Marta Para Transit services.  Because where ever they cut the public bus
line or train is also where Para Transit services will be cut also.

This important decision effects me greatly on a personal level.  I currently
live within a gated community so I have to depend on Para Transit to get me
from point A to B.  Just outside my gate is a major road with no side walks
and the nearest cross street is I85.  Definitely not safe to walk across an
Interstate High way totally blind?

Should this ever come to pass, this would mean I would be force to move from
my home area to keep the level of independents that I have grown use to
since coming to Atlanta more than 7 years ago.  Who would have ever thought
I would have to move because of inaccessible transportation.

I'll be sure to keep you all updated because the way the political landscape
works down here, there are bound to be more twists and turns to come.

DJ Reese

Download and install the new Peachtree Radio fM app available in the
Android, Apple and Black berry app stores today.
Peachtree Radio FM.  where some listen to remember and some listen to
forget.
www.peachtreeradiofm.com