[Travelandtourism] Met a person in Las Vegas who worked for Dr. Jernigan

Margo Downey and Arrow margo.downey at verizon.net
Thu Oct 17 13:49:20 UTC 2013

Oh, what fun!  I love this story.

Margo and Arow

-----Original Message-----
From: Travelandtourism [mailto:travelandtourism-bounces at nfbnet.org] On
Behalf Of cheryl echevarria
Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2013 9:17 AM
To: travelandtourism
Cc: Jessica Snyder; Christine Parsons; Karl Smith; John Tebockhorst; Donna
Ring; Tara Tate; Paula Perkins; Anahit LaBarre; Jemal Powell; Milton Taylor;
Barbara Henry; Justin Harford; Evelyn Faix; Richard Wilkinson; Debbie
Hietala; Ron Jemmot; Lous Townsend; Doug Johnson; Ronasita Meadows; Jeff
Meckley; Rebekah Jakeman; Michele Mitchell; Peter Slatin
Subject: [Travelandtourism] Met a person in Las Vegas who worked for Dr.
Jernigan

 I will be posting experiences from our 1st Fundraiser Trip we just came
back from. It was an experience for everyone. We have tons of stories and to
write it all down will take a book. Try to see how I can shorten it for a
story for our website, braille monitor and meet the blind month.

Below is the first one I am posting from Deana and John Bates of Orange
County, CA, but if you have been around awhile the Deana Bates she was the
President of the NFB of Wyoming for a while.

As you all may have read during the last few months, is that the NFB Travel
& Tourism Division, a proud division of the National Federation of the
Blind. Is that we had our very 1st Fundraiser Trip, which was a complete
success and learning experience for all involved including to the people we
met along the way of our trip to Las Vegas and Utah, and yes the parks were
opened. The state of Utah opened its National Parks while we  were there,
even though the country was on shutdown.

A few stories  and descriptions of our experiences will be posting for meet
the blind month, and I am also hoping in the braille monitor, but it will
definitely be on the www.nfbtravel.org website.

Below is one of the experiences that Deana and John Bates members of the NFB
of Orange County, CA, had at the Riviera Hotel where we stayed the first
night and the last night of our trip, about meeting a man who works at the
Riviera Hotel, who worked for Dr. Jernigan in the 1960's at the Iowa
Commission. Please read the story below.

John and I wanted to tell you about a very unusual experience we had at the
Riviera on Monday the day we left to come home.  We ordered room service
from Wicked Vicky's.  The guy who brought our food was 78 years old and his
name is Eugene Plaid.  Not sure if that name means anything to Ramona  or
not, but he worked for Dr Jernigan at the Iowa Commission in the 1960's
teaching cane travel.  He told us he came to Las Vegas to work with blind
persons and had walked all over Las Vegas under sleep shades before he
started teaching his students.  He said he worked for the Riviera for 43
years his wife was a medical Transcriptionist and they put five kids through
college.  Apparently he worked two jobs one teaching cane travel as well as
working at the Riviera.  We loved meeting him and talking about his
experiences.  He has been to our National Conventions.  It just seemed so
odd to us that someone who would deliver our food worked at the Iowa
Commission with Dr Jernigan.

Also John and I had a big laugh about Wicked Vicky what an appropriate name
rofl Deanna

Cheryl Echevarria, PresidentNFB Travel & Tourism DivisionNational Federation
of the Blind631-236-5138www.nfbtravel.orginfo at nfbtravel.org