[Travelandtourism] Tips for traveling with my cane

Cheryl Echevarria cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 19 15:07:29 UTC 2014

I still don't understand why you need a wheelchair, you can get assistance
at the gate from someone from the airport, if you have just carry one, ask
from someone to take either the luggage for her, or carry one of yours, you
don't have one of those suits cases you can pull yourself, and let her take
you by the arm.

I don't know you personally but, I am just giving you advise just like
anyone else would. Please, also reply to the list and do not write to me off
list.

There are many ways you 2 can walk through the airport without assistance.
Question for you when you go on your own, do you always go sighted guide
with a cane, or you go out with just using your cane.

If you are not independent cane traveler, then maybe you need a wheelchair,
but if you are someone who is independent and has cane travel skills you can
pull your own suit case and use your cane to travel, many of us do this all
the time.

If you need cane travel skills, depending on when you are traveling and you
go to NFB meetings maybe ask someone from your chapter to help you with cane
travel and using a rolling suitcase.

Cheryl Echevarria, President
National Federation of the Blind's Travel and Tourism Division
A proud division of the
NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND - "Live the life you want"
www.nfbtravel.org
631-236-5138
cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com

between blind people and our dreams. You can have the life you want;
blindness is not what holds you back.

Cheryl Echevarria is also the owner of Echevarria Travel
www.echevarriatravel.com; 631-456-5394 or reservations at echevarriatravel.com
and  has partnered with Braille Smith. www.braillesmith.com for all her
braille needs.  Gail Smith is the Secretary of the NFB of Alabama