[Travelandtourism] guide dogs and Gateway Arch in Saint Luis, MO?

Cheryl Echevarria cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 15 12:18:16 UTC 2014

Bibi and Marion:

President Gwizdala, please read the original posting from Bibi and my
response and please correct me should I need to be corrected, but this is
being posted to the NFB Travel & Tourism Talk  List and would appreciate the
response to the whole list, please.  I thank you. Sincerely, Your sister in
the NFB Cheryl Echevarria.

Since I have never been there myself, if we do not have anyone from Missouri
on the list, you may want to reach out to the Missouri State affiliate or
also try NAGDU.

Yes there is lighting in the trams, you are not in the dark.

But from the videos, and listening to the people inside the trams it is a
tight fitting.  But from listening you do feel the trams moving forward
slightly like the an arch is, but not like a roller coaster. When you get
off on the top which you need to do, for the observation area, the steps and
your footing are off, they do warn you at the top that because of the
rounded area, steps and footing are different, so make sure your dog,
sighted guide or cane, that what you are feeling is real, and that you must
adjust your skills.

When you are going down, you are not upside down, or something, you are
upright, feel like you are on a slight tilt but that is it. And you go down.
If you are bringing a dog, you may want to go up and down with less people
in the tram.

I hope this helps, but there are very descriptive videos on youtube. You can
listen to, just search The Arch in St. Louis.

Hope this helps.

In retrospect, respectfully to what you father said, ADA is Federation guide
lines, so yes the Federal Government must follow such guide lines, that is
kind of hypocritical if they do not. Again, please follow up with NAGDU, if
you have not done so already, I am copying this e-mail to our brother in the
NFB, Mr. Marion Gwizdala, for confirmation on my statements below, so he can
answer correctly for all of us, on the list with guide dogs.

Cheryl Echevarria, President
National Federation of the Blind's Travel and Tourism Division
A proud division of the
NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND - "Live the life you want"
www.nfbtravel.org
631-236-5138
cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com

between blind people and our dreams. You can have the life you want;
blindness is not what holds you back.

Cheryl Echevarria is also the owner of Echevarria Travel
www.echevarriatravel.com; 631-456-5394 or reservations at echevarriatravel.com
and  has partnered with Braille Smith. www.braillesmith.com for all her
braille needs.  Gail Smith is the Secretary of the NFB of Alabama