[Travelandtourism] Intro

Sami Osborne ligne14 at verizon.net
Sun Aug 9 17:38:56 UTC 2015

Hello all,

I just subscribed to this list, so thought I'd introduce myself
beforehand.  Some of you may also know me from the NABS list.

My name is Sami Osborne, and I'm 17, going on 18 next month.  I
am also, of course, totally blind.  I really like traveling a
lot, and have visited many foreign countries, particularly in
Europe, throughout my life.  First, I go with my mom and younger
brother to France every summer to visit other relatives (my mom
is originally from France) (which, by the way, we just came back
from last Friday).  I think it is a really nice country to visit,
and would definitely recommend it to others, especially Paris and
also a town called Noiremoutier, where one of my uncles, aunts
and cousins rent a beach house every summer, it's so nice there.
This year, we also went to Spain for my high school graduation
present.  I also really like it, although it does get
unpleasantly hot in some areas.
Other countries we've been to include Venice, Italy, (where we've
been twice, once by car and the other time by overnight train
from Paris,) Belgium, and England.  I've never really been to any
other countries in North America, except for a road trip to
Newfoundland, Canada, and I'd also like to go to Montreal.

My experiences on planes in regards to blindness has overall been
fairly well, although I did notice that some airlines do
different things to accommodate people who are blind.  For
example, when we were going to France last month,  we took
British Airways (although we didn't have to stop in England,
because the plane flew directly to Paris from New York where we
live) and both on the way in and way back, the flight attendant
actually got up and showed me where I could find the light
jackets and emergency exits (although I didn't actually get up,
the flight attendant just explained in words).  This happened
only on British Airways, not on any other airline I've taken.
Also, unfortunately, last month we also flew with Iberia to get
from Paris to Madrid for our trip to Spain, and at check-in at
the airport in Paris, the airline clerk, even though I was
walking with my family, asked if I needed any special assistance.
They didn't do this in Spain, though, so that was good.  Also,
when we were going to France last year, we took Aer Lingus and
made a stop in Dublin, Ireland before continuing on to Paris.  On
the way back to New York with that airline, two things happened
to accommodate my blindness: first, when we boarded the plane,
the flight attendant actually gave me an airline safety brochure
in Braille, which I read before the plane departed.  But then,
when we got to the airport in New York, they asked me if I needed
a wheelchair.  Does anyone know why airport employees would still
ask if you need assistance even if you're with your family or
friends? I've never been able to figure that out.

I really enjoy traveling and exploring different places.  Most
everywhere I've been to is very nice, and would like to see even
more.  I also would like to be a language interpreter for the UN
after I finish college, and in theory I would have to travel a
lot, so am also excited about that.

I'm very glad to be a member of this list, and hope to enjoy
discussions on here.

Thanks in advance,

Sami