[Travelandtourism] Intro Sami

Peter Wolf pwolf1 at wolfskills.com
Sun Aug 9 20:34:44 UTC 2015

Hi Sami-

I'm 59 and vision impaired, not totally blind.  I walk with a white cane, or team with my dog.  First, I want to say I am very impressed with what you have done and your goals.  It's awesome to have an early start with motivation and the travel exposure to go with it.  This has nothing to do with vision; it's about what you've done and accomplished in expanding your horizons already at your age.  Bravo!

I felt compelled to write also about the assistance issue.  It brings up an issue of the heart.  So in advance of these couple of paragraphs, I want to say that this makes me re-visit some conversations I've been in or heard that has to do with us who have variations of vision (or blind) and others who don't .  It's kind of a personal conversation and I hope that perhaps there's value in it for you that in some situations - when the feeling is there, and a sense of "I have time for this", can instead of being a mild irritation, bring a moment of remarkable interaction.

My sense of people's offers to assist even when it's obvious we're fine is that they are uncomfortable and unsure of themselves in the moment.  The quickest response sometimes for folks is a quite unconscious one, to "reach out and help".  That's beside anything their company may have put into their heads about "disability customer service".   I have a Psychology background and am also only six years new to vision loss, so it's like the drama in getting a "snapshot in time" to experience people's "helping" behavior.  I personally find this issue periodically in my day.  I can't tell where things are that my eyes pick up in space when walking, and so I do or don't see them, and I crash into them or they seemingly into me.  So walking, I could just as well be blind.  In fact, I often elect it! My saving grace walking when it just gets too hairy to just shut my eyes or sleepshade.  Hence the dog or the cane.  When I'm out with my cane especially around intersections (I'll bet a bunch of you know this one), well intending people come over and offer to help, simultaneously grabbing my arm and starting to steer me around.  Beside being pushed off balance, it's irritating.  The amount of polite (or otherwise) directness it takes to get them to knock it off is sometimes amazing.  I think it's because they are uncomfortable - and asking them to stop would certainly make them even more-so!  I too have been offered a wheelchair, even with my dog!  I guess it it just something for us, in our lap, an opportunity to exercise compassion even as we tell folks that we're doing just fine, thanks.

Hey there's nothing wrong with educating people, I do it all the time.  There's the option of course of "no thanks" and keep walking.  But sometimes, there can present, an opportunity for a random act of healing fear for someone when their assumptions get exposed.  If the moment feels right, I've been known to stop, engage someone's help offer and get directly into conversation, and -in a good way- thank you so much for offering the kindness (and I mean it -- please don't do this if you don't).  Of course they may ask something about vision, they can't help it.  It's often followed by some kind of "I'm so sorry you deal with that".  Hey look, they're quietly freaked, actually getting their own sudden glimpse in imagination of what if their own comfortable world was changed.  That's when I tell them how I hear better, and how excited I am about my next work venture...   You have to feel this or don't ever do it -  or it could reverse and end up mean both ways instead.  What it does, when it's genuine, is it gives something to a person who formerly saw "disability" - - it gives them a doorway to awe and motivation by touching them in a human way by the motivation, ingenuity and creativity that we as individuals and as a population exemplify.

In summary, if someone is just either being a jerk or just doing their job, whatever, I say no thanks and walk on.  But if I sense something human, it can be amazing what comes of being a good ambassador for helping eliminate just one more assumption in the world, and steering it toward realizing greater potential.  And both parties leave warm hearted.  One grain of shift in the world.

Have a nice next flight!
Peter

Life-Skills
Connecting with the Wisdom of the Earth
Tracking, Survival and Nature Awareness Skills
www.wolfskills.com