[Travelandtourism] Intro

Cheryl Echevarria cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 9 20:56:07 UTC 2015

Hello Sami:

Welcome to the National Federation of the Blind Travel & Tourism Division. A
proud division of the National Federation of the Blind.

My name is Cheryl Echevarria and I am the president of the division.

The talk list is here for everyone who wants to read and partake in
conversation, respectfully of course.  If you are interested in becoming a
member of the division it is $10 a year and you can find the information to
do this on our website www.nfbtravel.org and find the tab how to join the
division.

We have monthly teleconferences for all from September - June and then July
we have our national meeting.

We  try to have a trip fund raiser either every year or every 2 years, and
we ask that  all members get the word out there to those who are blind and
not blind.  Not just NFB member but all people.

We are in the planning stages of our trip to NY City and Cooperstown, NY. We
currently have something on the books, but we are looking to cut some
corners because it is becoming quite pricy.

We also work on issues in the travel industry like currently Greyhound and
their inaccessible website and mobile app; Allegiant Airlines, etc.

In reference to your question in how to get people to stop asking you if you
want assistance. I have to agree with Peter Wolf, we have to put our foot
down nicely, of course, you  do not have to accept the help.  If you need it
take the assistance, but don't rely on it. It will not make you a more
independent person, and it will not teach those that are trying to help you,
learn that  blindness is a characteristic and that the only thing is wrong
with us is our eyes and not anything to do with walking. Unless, you have
issues walking then take the wheelchair.

Cheryl Echevarria, President
National Federation of the Blind's Travel and Tourism Division
A proud division of the
NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND - "Live the life you want"
www.nfbtravel.org
To join the talk list
http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/travelandtourism_nfbnet.org
631-236-5138
cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com

between blind people and our dreams. You can have the life you want;
blindness is not what holds you back.

Cheryl Echevarria
Travel is our specialty and offering the best of meaningful travel for all
ages is our passion!
http://www.echevarriatravel.com
reservations at echevarriatravel.com
631-456-5394

Visit my website to get my FREE report, "Top 5 Good Reasons to Use a Travel
Professional"

I build my business on referrals. Please pass my details on to friends and
family members that deserve the best vacation that they can imagine

P.S. - Families of all sizes is my specialty. Whether you are just starting
out and looking for that romantic destination for your destination wedding
or honeymoon. Booking that planned family vacation to Walt Disney World or
that bucket list trip that Grandma  & Grandpa are planning for the family, I
would love to help you.

We have partnered with Braille Smith. www.braillesmith.com for all her
braille needs.  Gail Smith is the Secretary of the NFB of Alabama