[Travelandtourism] Nyc fund raiser

Cheryl Echevarria cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 11 15:06:52 UTC 2015

Peter:

Being a travel professional myself, and we have done a trip prior to this
one, we know what to ask for.

I also work very closely with Disney,  cruise lines, all-inclusive resorts,
not only within the United States but outside of the USA.

Since, I cannot be the travel expert on this trip, that we are working with
someone I know within the industry for many years, we had been working with
someone supposedly from the NFB but she turned out not to be, and she kept
saying that she is blind, but was treating us like we have to do these
things, because we are blind.

We have also reached out to other travel professionals in the NFB, some like
Anahit LaBarre and others, but because they are committed to NFB work at the
moment they couldn't give us the attention of planning this as we would
like.

So being that I am a travel professional, I have a network of travel experts
who know what they are doing!

If I remember correctly, you are against the nfb now and that you are not a
member of the division any  more.

Not saying you wouldn't be welcomed back to the division at any time, there
are no hard feelings, but at the same time, this is done deal by the
division, unless we do not have the people making their deposits by  the due
dates, the trip will be cancelled.

This is the 2nd trip we have been planning since returning from Utah/Las
Vegas Trip in 2013; we had many perks of the trip, but again,  just because
we are blind, doesn't mean we are automatically entitled to certain things;
or even want them.

Case in point; Amtrak has a rate for people who are disabled, I know  many
people who do not take advantage of the price, because they don't want to be
considered they want to be considered a person and not a reason.

But at the same time,  as we say in the NFB, Live the Life You Want,
meaning, no one is going to check if you paid the rate for someone with
disabilities, and if the price is that much different, then go for it.  I
have done that myself many times on things/

I want to also stress something on this list, all are welcome,  members and
non-members, blind or sighted, young or old. But, unless you are  a paid
member like all state affiliates, chapters, divisions, etc.

If you are not a paid member, only thing that is entitled to you, is to make
a motion on issues and voting.

Other than that, all are welcome to post, in a respectful manner to each
other, no vulgarity, etc.

If you don't like what is being said,  there is a delete button, or just
reply in a sensitive manner.

I am not being disrespectful to Peter Donahue, we go back and forth over the
years with issues, in fact, we disagree more than agreeing, that being said,
we respect one another. At least I hope.

Cheryl Echevarria, President
National Federation of the Blind's Travel and Tourism Division
A proud division of the
NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND - "Live the life you want"
www.nfbtravel.org
To join the talk list
http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/travelandtourism_nfbnet.org
631-236-5138
cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com

between blind people and our dreams. You can have the life you want;
blindness is not what holds you back.

Cheryl Echevarria
Travel is our specialty and offering the best of meaningful travel for all
ages is our passion!
http://www.echevarriatravel.com
reservations at echevarriatravel.com
631-456-5394

Visit my website to get my FREE report, "Top 5 Good Reasons to Use a Travel
Professional"

I build my business on referrals. Please pass my details on to friends and
family members that deserve the best vacation that they can imagine

P.S. - Families of all sizes is my specialty. Whether you are just starting
out and looking for that romantic destination for your destination wedding
or honeymoon. Booking that planned family vacation to Walt Disney World or
that bucket list trip that Grandma  & Grandpa are planning for the family, I
would love to help you.

We have partnered with Braille Smith. www.braillesmith.com for all her
braille needs.  Gail Smith is the Secretary of the NFB of Alabama