[Travelandtourism] How would a blind person prepare to travel alone for the first time?

Wendy David wendydav at mindspring.com
Wed Mar 11 04:48:06 UTC 2015

Hello Roanna,

It was questions just like yours that prompted me to write "Sites Unseen:
Traveling the World Without Sight," 2010, available on BARD for download or
from National Braille Press for purchase. I too wanted to be able to travel
for fun and on my own as a totally blind person and, over the years, have
found some ways that worked.  I thought it might be helpful to share some of
what I had learned, in the hopes of opening up the world of travel to
others. There are chapters about air travel, trains, buses, cruises,
deciding where to go, how to go, and how to ask the questions you need
answers to make sure that you will have a quality experience. Also, there
are lots of resources about groups, tours, and agents that can provide
various levels of assistance and accommodations to help make your travels
more accessible and fun.  I hope this is helpful and I wish you many happy
adventures.

Best,
Wendy David