[Travelandtourism] What's important to you as a blind air traveler?

Cheryl Echevarria cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com
Tue May 5 10:20:15 UTC 2015

You need to let them know prior to getting on the plane.

Please also remember they take a long time, because they have other passengers getting off the plane, if you have to get to another get, make sure they know this, if you are just going to get your luggage and meet a car. You are in less than a rush, other people might have to get to another flight.

As we all know that more and more people are packed onto a plane, so they have more and more people to take care of.

They might also have passengers who are elderly and sick, they might have to take care of prior to ourselves.

Remember to be patient. If you know the airport like I know my own home airport, I do not need the assistance of the flight attendance, and get myself off the plane.

Some may not be as independent as others, and that is okay. We need to know what our independence is.

I know people who are very independent that are totally blind that not only travel via the US but internationally.

Best thing I can offer from experience, and I had to learn the hard way, being a person who didn't go blind until almost 15 years ago at the age of 35.

I might need help getting my luggage down from above me, but once I get it. I figure which way is out of the plane, get myself down the ramp to the gate or the stairs, and then if it is a new airport I wait at the gate for assistance, or I just get out of the way on the plane until they can come for me.

They might not have a person to meet every flight at the same time, for assistance to  get your luggage or just to meet a car.

This is when our mobility comes into place. We try and do as much as possible, and if we cannot, we  cannot.

I long to accomplish a great and noble task, but it is my chief duty to accomplish small tasks as if they were great and noble.”
― Helen Keller

Cheryl Echevarria, President
National Federation of the Blind's Travel and Tourism Division
A proud division of the
NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND - "Live the life you want"
www.nfbtravel.org
631-236-5138
cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com

The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can have the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back.

Cheryl Echevarria
Travel is our specialty and offering the best of meaningful travel for all ages is our passion!
http://www.echevarriatravel.com
reservations at echevarriatravel.com
631-456-5394

Visit my website to get my FREE report, “Top 5 Good Reasons to Use a Travel Professional”

I build my business on referrals. Please pass my details on to friends and
family members that deserve the best vacation that they can imagine

P.S. – Families of all sizes is my specialty. Whether you are just starting out and looking for that romantic destination for your destination wedding or honeymoon. Booking that planned family vacation to Walt Disney World or that bucket list trip that Grandma  & Grandpa are planning for the family, I would love to help you.

We have partnered with Braille Smith. www.braillesmith.com for all her braille needs.  Gail Smith is the Secretary of the NFB of Alabama