[Travelandtourism] We Have Lost Another Hero from our NFB Family

Cheryl Echevarria cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com
Thu May 14 22:53:15 UTC 2015

Good evening fellow NFB Family

Dwight Sayer, President - National Association of Blind Veterans has posted
this news. Since I am a member of the division, no I am not a veteran. I
thought you may all want to know the news and pray for his family.

Sincerely,

Cheryl Echevarria

My fellow Veterans, Friends and Associates,

It is with a sad heart that I must  tell you of the passing  of our NABV
First Vice President Clarence Eugene Huggins of Sumter South Carolina this
morning about 8am . Gene as he liked to be called  was a gregarious tall man
who lost his sight due to diabetes which was a direct result of his military
service in Viet Nam and his exposure to Agent Orange. Gene was a guide dog
user and his partner Mac was as  bodacious as his master. I once got a
picture of Gene  next to a motorcycle with side car in Atlanta Georgia
during the NFB convention there and his guide dog Mac was sitting in the
motorcycles sidecar . Those who could see the picture told me they both were
smiling. At this time I don't have any information about the arrangements
for Gene's burial, but as soon as I have some information I will pass it
along. Gene's daughter Tanis said she thought his wishes were to be buried
at  the Fort Jackson National Cemetary in Columbia South Carolina. Gene was
a great friend and I am going to miss him terribly, and his shoes will be
hard to fill as his replacement  is sought  for the National Association of
Blind Veterans.

Dwight Sayer
President
NABV

Dwight D. Sayer

President,

P.O. Box 784957

Winter Garden, Fl.  34778

president at nabv.org <mailto:president at nabv.org>

www.nabv.org <http://www.nabv.org/>

"Life is  not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a  pretty and well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside,  thoroughly used up,totally worn out, and
loudly proclaiming  --
WOW-- What a Ride!"