[Travelandtourism] Greyhound to Settle ADA Complaints

Criminal Justice Major Extraordinaire orleans24 at comcast.net
Thu Mar 10 09:03:21 UTC 2016

Dear Cheryl,
There's been ADA issues with Greyhound for years.
Last incident I had was almost eight years ago when I had to fight with several bus drivers as far as seating.
Odie and I went to a convention on the bus.
In their ADA section, it states that if a service dog is on board, no other passengers may be seated in the assigned seating area, if both dog and handler are on a particular side.
A driver put Odie and I in serious danger by having me sit on the right hand side with Odie underneath and I had to have mny feet hanging over the wall in front of me.
I was very lucky and fortunate that I had plenty of passengers there to back me up on top of filing jmany complaints.
Needless to say, a few staff members were fired immediately, including the bus driver that also caused the problem just as much.
What concerns me the most is how I was told by a few Greyhound representatives in the Accessibility department what the ADA states what, how or not the bus drivers and other staff of a Greyhound station can do or not.
It's frustrating when I'm told one thing and then, something else...
Greyhound did provide me with a balcher to get half price off the next time I were to use them.
Ever since that incident, I didn't feel comfortable using Greyhound again.
I did have a good experience with Amtraak almost four years back and I found the environment on the train less stressful and they accomodated Odie and I really well.
I had another guide dog user with me on the train and she also found the travel less stressful.
I wanted to mention that those who work with service dogs aren't the only ones who have had trouble with Greyhound.
My late husband, Dale Gilmore had to file a complaint on behalf of a wheelchair mobile individual as the bus he was supposed to get on had a broken wheelchair lift and that person had to probably wait either for a couple of hours or the next day.
I know ther's an option for flying, but I'm not comfortable with it, due to two type of seizures, but also the high amount of tightened security measures that were put in place after the 9-11-2001 terrorist attacks here in the US and other countries.
I'm apart of the Colorado Disability Coalision organization here in Denver, Colorado and I may also get some thoughts from them on this too.
Bibi