[Travelandtourism] Questions about getting assistance in airports

Peter Wolf pwolf1 at wolfskills.com
Fri May 27 21:33:13 UTC 2016

Hi Sami-

I get that wheelchair crap periodically too, and I am not total.  I fly with my dog a lot.  It is standard procedure to advize that you have a dog or “special needs” either in the reservation, or when calling back to tighten up those details once you have the ticket.  Different airlines have different time periods, so ask.  Domestically, I have found that a week before is sufficient.  This will help them know you’ll be asking about a bulkhead seat if that’s what you’ll be doing.  My dog isn’t huge, but she really has to back under or curl up in a regular sardine seat.  For me, it’s about communicating with them in time that they don’t upsell seats to people who would prefer to sit in the bulkhead.

I have found that being proactive is the best thing at airports.  This might mean that if there is assistance from the airline desk, great.  But, it is important to state your timeframe or they can really keep you waiting, even to a stress point.   So again, communicate; that keeps it friendly and stress free by preventing time mishaps.   The other thing is at security.   People forget that who is being security people…is just a person. State your need to be walked or assisted through right up front.  What people forget, particularly in “enforcement” scenarios like TSA, is that these people are company employees, and you are a customer.  This goes far, because you can talk to them like people, telling them exactly what you need and how, and you will usually find that it goes over very nicely.  This is forgotten in a lot of transactions, so it can instead be mistaken for a a dignity, or hassle, or “disability”, or treatment issue instead.  So go a little early, be friendly, and direct, and with all that room and niceness, tell them what you need.  We’ve found it makes a mountain of difference.   Have fun!
Peter