[Travelandtourism] Online travel agencies continued about looking to going into being a travel professional

cheryl echevarria cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 24 15:14:36 UTC 2017

I want to recognize my mentor, who is no longer with us, and my past vice president of the travel and tourism division when there was one, Mr. Maurice Shackeldford (NFB of GA), who passed away a few years ago. He got me into this business, and I will never forget him for it.  He was a good friend.
FYI, many people are coming back from using the internet and using a real travel professional, you welcome them to do their homework, but many times, they don't have a clue.

Many people also think, that us travel professionals travel for free. NOPE! We earn it! I cannot travel unless I have either sold a certain amount of travel to that location; or held a group cruise space, and I have the minimum about of people to qualify for a free bed (which is normally the lowest level possible like interior room instead of an Ocean view or Balcony, plus I still have to pay for my husband, taxes and fees, transportation, we don't fly anywhere for free! That has been gone for almost 20 years now!

This business once you do it right is very rewarding and we love the benefits, especially when we are invited to speak on behalf of the blind community at an event. I have been on the Norwegian Cruise Lines Travel Agency Advisory Board, been invited to Island Routes conferences, as the only travel agent there blind or sighted to speak. Been recognized by 2 Governors for the work that I do, and so much more!

We need more blind travel professionals out there to work, but many think it is just a work from home job. See more information below. If anyone is still interested after this information I am willing to help you find the perfect host agency for you.

I have worked with a number of people from the NFB, who wanted to become a home based travel agency or wanted to work from home. A few things happened.

1. After a few weeks, they thought they knew what they were doing, and decided to go it alone (remember I have been in business since 2008, and I am still learning every day, see more about this below), which by the way, these people are no longer in the business

2. They took my advice went to a host agency that I recommended, which I offer a few depending on where you live and what kind of background you have in any field, each agency is different. Being a Member of NACTA - National Association of Career Travel Agents, there are many out there that are great and there are many out there that are Multi Level Marketing Scams or (MLMS) that are not travel agencies.  After a few weeks of realizing this was not a business that people were calling you and your had to get your clients, and work at it every day and not just on social media. They gave up.

You are going to work every single day. Just because someone loves to cruise or love going to Walt Disney World, etc. Doesn't mean you are a travel professional.

Here is a day in the life of a travel agent from my own day, which by the way is not 9-5.

I wake up early around 6 am, and read my emails and clear out my email boxes.  I also go through my calendar of events, see if I have to contact a client about anything, see if I have any mail to go out, such as mailing information to a client, or possibly it is their birthday, anniversary, etc. People love receiving information that is no related to a sale, just to note that you are thinking of them.  Not via email, you know the famous delete button. Even if the person is blind, in the past I have tried to find a supplier that offers brailled birthday cards, etc. There are a few out there.

After breakfast, I do all my social media postings, blog postings, e-newsletters.

Remember you are also a business person, so I belong to the East Orlando Chamber of Commerce, which I get a lot of information and networking from, also been recognized as member of the month, and recently got a letter from Governor Rick Scott of Florida in the mail on Friday, which I plan on posting shortly. We go to a number of events each month and also participate in events. (This doesn't come over night).

If I don't have clients or a chamber event, I then do studying, and reading, many of the suppliers (tourism boards, magazines (many of them being posted on NFBNewsline) Supplier websites, they are always updating information, if you don't know it, you know the competition will. (Example: Disney Parks has just released many new things coming to both areas in CA and Florida over the next few years, they are also adding 3 new cruises to their line and Walt Disney World has just opened Avatar, and Rivers of Light) So things are constantly changing.

So I work at least 10-12 hours a day, if not longer, you need to know time management skills, I am not opened 24/7 and neither should anyone else.

I go to travel agent events locally, we belong to many travel agent association, we travel a few times a year to different places for FAMS which are familiarization trips to learn about the destination or resort or cruise lines etc. Or the supplier has an event that you can attend.

Don't want to scare people off, again, we need more blind people in this profession.  He has a lot of great rewards, but  you have to work hard for it.

Cheryl and Nelson Echevarria
cherylandmaxx at hotmail.com
407-910-6469 home number