[Travelandtourism] National Parks and Monuments

Peter Donahue pdonahue2 at satx.rr.com
Wed May 30 01:49:22 UTC 2018

Good evening everyone,

                One place we've always wanted to go is to some of our
national parks. We're curious to know if anyone here has visited any of our
national parks and monuments, how accessible were the park offerings and
accommodations and what activities did you enjoy as a blind person.

                Since becoming Amazon Prime Members we've bought a number of
videos about many of America's national parks including those in Alaska and
Hawaii. Speaking of Alaska I was surprised to learn that Denali National
Park has bus transportation that must be used by all park visitors so no
worries about transportation within Denali. I believe some of Alaska's other
national parks can only be reached by fairy.

                As for the parks in the lower 48 like Denali the eastern
portion of Rockey Mountain National Park along with Glacier National Park
also operate shuttle busses allowing visitors to take in many of the park
attractions. Yosemite National Park has shuttle busses that operate
throughout the park. Ground 0 for this service is the Yosemite Valley Hotel.
There are also a few other parks with shuttle service within the park
boundaries too. One of the highlights at Yosemite during the holidays is the
"Bracebridge Dinner." This event is held at what was the Awani Hotel and is
a recreation of an authentic old English Christmas Dinner complete with nine
food courses and a musical production. Attending that event would really put
the Christmas back into Christmas for us as many family members are no
longer with us and we often find ourselves spending Christmas alone. It's
something to set a travel goal to accomplish.

                If traveling by stage coach is of interest Acadia and
Yellowstone National Parks have you covered. Some parks also have rail
service within the park or that bring visitors to the park when they pass
through. Amtrak's Empire Builder makes several stops in Glacier National
Park on its run between Chicago and Seattle.

                Many parks also offer guided tours which could be helpful
for a blind person. We'd be curious to know what other accommodations our
national parks and monuments have available. All the best.

                Peter Donahue who looks forward to dining with the squire
and his court at Yosemite National Park with wife Mary by his side.