[Travelandtourism] National Parks and Monuments

tattenberg at gmail.com tattenberg at gmail.com
Wed May 30 04:38:48 UTC 2018

That sounds like close to all you need, or it sounds pretty good at least!
I'm always kean to know about means to traveling as independently as
possible. I've been to several NPs, including Shenandoah, Great Smokey's,
Olympic, Mesa Verde, Crater Lake etc., but I always went on road trips with
others who served as personal guides. I'd of course be interested in
learning about transit to and from parks, as well as shuttles that get one
through arteries within them. I believe that ranger led hikes in many cases
will focus on things like bird sounds and plants you can touch or at least
get close to. That's true in many smaller nature preserves, like at Audubon
sanctuaries, and it is true in national parks in other countries. Probably
true also with regards to historical monuments so far as is
practical--perhaps one can make arrangements to get a more tactile tour of
things that would otherwise be off limits to that type of activity? Trail
accessibility of course depends on individual ability/mobility. Some parks
have wheelchair accessible trails, but of course that's limited so far as
ADA standards go--we're talking about a lot of rugged terrane. I'd be
interested to know how easy getting a personally guided ranger tour would be
for a blind person or group of blind persons. Often ranger guided tours
aren't particularly physically challenging, and thus aren't a bad way to go
if you are doing it alone.
I realize that digital self-guided tours via apps are becoming more common.
I'm interested in that, and can't speak much to them in an outdoor context.
Good topic.
Best,
Trevor A