[TravelAndTourism] Playing tourist in an unknown city

carcione at access.net carcione at access.net
Sun Nov 26 17:26:06 UTC 2023

Hi everyone.

It looks like from the archives that this is a quiet list, but hopefully
people are out there ready to answer a question when it comes up.  Here
goes.

I am totally blind, and my husband used to have low-vision, but now he's
lost most of what he had.

We've been to Ireland a couple times with a tour group.  It's a bus tour,
stopping in 3 towns for a couple nights each.  We enjoy it very much, but
when we went last year we had some trouble playing tourist on the days we
didn't have scheduled events.  Our tour mates would go bounding off to go
shopping or look around, and, if we couldn't catch anyone and ask if we
could come along, we were on our own and not sure where to go.  Next time we
go, we'd like to have an action plan.

We might see if a friend would like to join the tour, because she would
enjoy the things we want to do, and we enjoy each other's company.  We'd
offer to pay at least some of the trip for her, and that would be expensive,
but it might be worth it, if she's interested.

We could ask our tour guide if he has any ideas.  He might help us, or
sometimes one of his children is along to help wrangle.  We'd give a big
tip, but it wouldn't be as much as bringing someone along.

Or we could try using GPS and such to try to find places.  Cell service in
Ireland can be spotty, but I imagine it's OK in cities.  In my experience,
GPS isn't anywhere near as good as walking along with someone who can spot
interesting things, but it might work.

I'd really like to hear any ideas or experiences other blind people have
regarding playing tourist in an unknown town without a sighted friend along.
I don't want to be wimpy, but, the older I get, the less I enjoy wandering
around without some kind of idea or direction.

Thanks.

Tracy