[Txabs] Pearson userStudy at National Convention

Jonathan Franks jfranks at nfbtx.org
Thu Jun 16 20:57:38 UTC 2016

To all students who may be interested and are attending our 2016 NFB
National Convention, please see the following message below:

Jan McSorley
400 Center Ridge Drive
Austin, TX  78753
512-673-9569

Pearson User Study -- Potential Participant Letter
Dear Potential Participant:
Pearson is working to improve the accessibility of our digital tools
and content.  For this reason, we are pleased to invite students to
participate in one or more User Study Activities related to accessible
math tools and materials. The user study activities will be held at
the National Federation of the Blind’s 2016 National Convention.
Dates and Times for User Study Activities
June 30:  5:00-9:00 p.m.
July 1: 1:00-9:00 p.m.
July 2: 5:00-9:00 p.m.
July 3: 12:00-2:00 p.m. and 5:00-9:00 p.m.
July 4: 12:00-2:00 p.m. and 5:00-9:00 p.m.
July 5: 12:00-2:00 p.m.
User Study Activities
There will be two different activities conducted as part of the user study:
1.    Curriculum interview (20-30 minutes in length)
We are seeking advice from students about the development of a
curriculum to teach Nemeth Code.
2.    Combined Equation Editor & Audio Guidelines (1.5 hours in length)
We are seeking feedback from high school and college-age students on
features of Pearson’s accessible equation editor and on the voicing of
math.
Time and Incentive to Participate:
1.    Curriculum Interviews:
a.    Curriculum interview for high school or college-age students who
are functioning at or near grade level and who successfully completed
a math class at the Algebra I level or above during the 2015/2016
school year:
•         Estimated Time: 20 – 30 minutes
•         Incentive for Participants:  $50 Visa card
•         Total slots available: 3
2.    Combined Audio Guideline and Equation Editor Activity
a.    High school or college-age students who are functioning at or
near grade-level and who successfully completed Algebra I or above
during the 2015-2016 school year
•         Estimated Time: 1.5 hours
•         Incentive for Participants:  $150 Visa card
•         Total slots available: 12
o   Six students who are blind and meet the following qualifications:
                                                      i.    Grades
9-12  or college and functioning at or near grade level
                                                    ii.    Have taken
Algebra I or above during the 2015/2016 school year
                                                   iii.    Regularly
use screen reading technology, such as JAWS, NVDA, Window-Eyes, or
VoiceOver
                                                   iv.    Have
experience using refreshable Braille devices
                                                    v.    Use Braille
for reading
                                                   vi.    Use Nemeth
Code for Math and Science notation
o   Six students who have low vision and meet the following qualifications
                                                      i.    Grades
9-12 or college and function at or near grade level
                                                    ii.    Have taken
Algebra I or above during the 2015/2016 school year
                                                   iii.    Regularly
use browser zoom or screen magnification software at a level greater
than 2X to access print on a computer.
How to Participate:
If you are interested in participating, please activate the link at
the bottom of this letter to complete a survey and provide us with
additional information. This information will then be used to make
sure that this study is a good fit for you.  The participant slots
will be allotted on a first-come-first-serve basis, so please complete
the survey as soon as possible.
Surveys must be completed no later than June 17, 2016.  The responses
will be reviewed by Pearson staff and Consent Letters will be sent on
or before June 21, 2016 to those selected for participation.  Signed
consent must be received by email no later than June 27, 2016.
Please activate this link to take the survey

expectations of blind people, because low expectations create
obstacles between blind people  and our dreams. You can live the life
you want; blindness is not what holds you back.